Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Damn Dog!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Mar 6, 2003.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Ok, so my dog is an outside dog for the most part and I feel bad when he has to sleep on the concrete. He wants nothing to do with the dog house I BEGGED my dad to build. He had one of those igloo thingys -- he didn't want to sleep in it, just wanted to drag it around the yard and chew on it. So, I get him this bed from Pet Fun and this is what happened to it...
    [​IMG]

All the brown stuff is cedar shavings and the green stuff is stuffing /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So... I get one of these last November. It took him nearly 3 months to completely destroy it. I send back the shredded one and they send me a new one which arrived yesterday. I give him the new bed at around 11:30pm and this morning there was stuffing everywhere!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif They won't replace it again, but they are going to credit my credit card for the amount of purchase.

So, currently, my dog is s.o.l. in the bed department and I'm looking for a creative idea for something I can use as a bed for him that might be difficult to destroy. Anyone got any ideas?

2. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

straw /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

the concrete seems to be doing a great job...i'd stick with it.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

A safe and simple bed can be fabricated with some regular Duct Tape.

Viewing this picture:
    [​IMG]

it's easy to see how it could easily be modified for your Dog.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well...it's clear he really doesn't WANT a bed. I'd let him find his favorite spot in the yard and call it good. My wife has at least 10 different beds for our dogs. They don't use ANY OF 'EM!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Instead, they lay in the dirty clothes piles in the laundry room, and on one couch that we let them lay on. The other two and my la-z-boy are OFF LIMITS!! They're little mutts though (less than 4 lbs) that might make a difference /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. shewheeler

Well, he really likes the bed before it gets destroyed and he does sleep on them (until I have to collect all the stuffing and shredded material). He just doesn't quite grasp the concept that if he chews it up, then he has no where soft and warm to curl up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Old blankets from a thrift store. They're cheap enough that it's no big deal when he chews them up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

maybe he need's some doggy prozak /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'd show him the comfort that can be had from grass.

10. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe he need's some doggy prozak /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's the best idea yet! Puppy downers /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

our dogs dumb like that too-...

he'd chew up any bed we got him, and I'd find him in the laundry basket in the morning...funny sight- 140lb yellow lab in a basket- so I went and bought him his very own laundry basket- and threw in some old towels- now he sleeps there everynight....

(rubbermaid's not fun for them to chew up)

Brandy

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's puppy uppers and doggy downers.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifmaybe wrap the bed in chicken wire and sew it to the wire with fishing line and then pepper the thing with hot sauce, you could also have all his teeth removed but then you'd be spending your quality time blending dog food shakes.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifSeriously I don't know where this stuff comes from, maybe too much pizza and beer.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. shewheeler

I like that idea... at least laundry baskets are relatively cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I always find it funny how they lay there amidst their destruction with that innocent look on their face. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What about going to Target over there... buy some of those cheap towels they have, they like $1.88 each.... get like 4-5 or so and a laundry basket. Towels suck to chew up, and if he does at some point they are cheap. Laundry baskets like Brandy said suck to chew up too... I think that'd work rather well...

16. shewheeler

Ok, that settles it... I will try the laundry basket idea and see what happens. I'll be sure to take pics if it doesn't work /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That picture is great... Keep it forever /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. shewheeler

I actually have it framed and keep it on my desk at work. The frame says "Good Boy" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, he really likes the bed before it gets destroyed and he does sleep on them (until I have to collect all the stuffing and shredded material). He just doesn't quite grasp the concept that if he chews it up, then he has no where soft and warm to curl up

[/ QUOTE ]
    They do that for 1 of 2 reasons... either they are getting back at you for leaving them alone, or they need an outlet for anxiety and don't have one, so the bed gets their attention.

Try: Get some towels and sleep with them in your bed for a day or two to get your smell on them. Then put them in the doghouse or wherever. The get the dog something else to chew on that it likes and that will last for a bit. Rawhide or regular bones, or some toy. Play with whatever chew thing you give him for a little while so he knows you think it's a cool thing. If that doesn't work, try rubbing your smell on the chew toy and then giving it to him and praising him when he starts playing or chewing it.

I had the same problem with mine except she was inside and instead of eating her bed, she ate my new couch - all the way thru. Almost got rid of her, then realized I had mis-handled her and she was trying to get my attention. Once we solved it, it was never a problem again.

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same problem with mine except she was inside and instead of eating her bed, she ate my new couch - all the way thru. Almost got rid of her, then realized I had mis-handled her and she was trying to get my attention. Once we solved it, it was never a problem again.

[/ QUOTE ] Had a Dalmation that did the same thing, I didn't like that fawkin couch anyhow, gawd I love that dawg though....They do get lonely when you leave em'... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif It'd just be easier if they could talk...CHASE THE CAT CHASE THE CAT FEED ME FEED ME LETS PEE ON THAT BUSH SNIFF MY BUTT LETS EAT GARBAGE LETS GO HUMP THAT LADIES LEG...On second thought that could get me in to trouble.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif