Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My dash cracked, help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 17, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Today I heard a bad sound, and a few minutes later I saw a big split down my dash, right between the speedo and gas gauge ,but on the top vinyl part. I always use armor-all on it, and the rest of it looks good. There was a small crack when I bought it, and I guess it kept getting a little worse. Does anyone know who sells those vinyl repair kits, or shoul I just get it proffessionally(sp?) done? I really don't want to get one of those ugly @ss dsah pads that "fit" over the dash and look crappy.

90K5

2. roadrage

roadrage Registered Member

I got a cover lay replacment plastic dash. It fit so good it looks like OEM.

3. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Had a similar problem. When I purchased my blazer it had several cracks & a few holes in the dash. Got a Cover Lay molded plastic dashboard cover for it. Fits over your existing dash & looks orignial. They cost about 100 bucks & makes a big improvement on the interior. - Jay

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option is to replace the dash with a replacment - if you fix your's it will not look right nor last very long. Coverlay's are nice.

Pic of mynew one (which is urethane and should NEVER crack) on my site below. Click on the link. Cost about $200. Got if from http://www.cheyennepickup.com

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Hey BlazzinOR,
    Did you have to dye yours to get it the right color? The thing is, mine looks really good now, and I didn't see your picture, but does it look good and original? i really like the one in there, and I don't want to get a coverlay.

90K5

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Now your site loaded for me. Thats a nice Blazer!!! That dash is the same color as mine. I really like it. Thats the whole dash, and not just a coverlay, right?

90K5

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Correct, that is a brand new Urethane dash from Cheyenne Pickup Parts - 405-872-3399.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

8. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Frank,

Could have sworn the colored dash from Cheyenne was $350.00 or so.

Do they sell dashes made of different materials?

That's the perfect color scheme for my truck. As I said a while ago ... when/if I get this mechanical stuff leveled out I'll be askin for advice.

May listen this time ... unlike my tranny crap.

Thanks,

Bob

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The Urethane ones, which are pre-colored in the pigment of the urethane, are actually either $179.95 (black for 73-78) or $189.95 for all the other colors from 73-78 and 79-80. They state in the catalog "dyeing or painting NOT recommended". Pricing direct from the catalog. What you are thinking is the ORIGINAL GM pads, of which they still have a few for $349.95.....ouch. They also have REPRODUCTION pads for between $199.95 and $225.95, but the Urethane is supposedly better, they recommended urethane to me when I called them, even though they cost less. One of the reasons I like dealing with Cheyenne.

By the way -all you 'Zonies out there (Arizona dudes know the lingo) might want to call and ask Cheyenne about using a Urethane dash pad in the "Valley of the Sunstroke" as they mentioned "extreme" heat might warp it. And Arizona fits the bill as "extreme".........[​IMG]......lived there in Mesa for 8 years..........

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Frank,

Thanks for the clarification. Really looks nice. Did you ask for that particular color? Or was it to match the original interior?

Reason I'm asking, is it looks identical to the grey in my truck. An 88 K-5. I know may be due to the web pics also.

Further, did you ever figure out why your blower was putting out from the wrong vents?

Thanks

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I ordered that color specifically (think it was Medium Gray) as I was changing the entire interior color scheme from dog puke brown/tan to black/charcoal and wanted a lighter shade for the dash pad. Looks good in person too.

Well, not yet 100% sure I have that vent thing fixed, but took apart the nub/vacuum port area, cleaned it up and put it back together. MOST of the heater air goes to the floor now (like 98%) with just a hint of a draft coming through the AC vents. Not going to worry about it now, when I get my AC charged (waiting on a plug for the compressor) we'll see how everything works.