Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Day isn't getting any better

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Aug 20, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

My Day isn\'t getting any better

i spent all day today replacing my oil pan gasket in hopes to stop my oil leak, and i did various other tasks like hooking up my driveshaft and torque converter to the flywheel. Well i start it up and guess wat, the oil is still leaking, and this time its even worse. It looks as if its coming from tranny and somehow spraying itself everywhere so that oil can somehow drip onto my exhaust manifol from the firewall. the only hint i have its from the tranny is that the oil is dripping onto the ground from the tranny fluid pan. Any help would be appreciated.

phill

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Re: My Day isn\'t getting any better

My first suggestion would be to determine if your leaking oil or tranny fluid. If it's tranny fluid it's probably your pump seal. If it's oil and coming from the back, bottom of your motor I would guess rear main seal. My oil leak was coming from the front....timing chain was so loose it rubbed a hole in the timing chain cover!!! Good luck!

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

My oil leak was coming from the back of the valve covers. Tightened down and it was all gone.....
    On your oil pan gasket, did you go back and forth, side to side and front to back as you were tightening it down?

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

yeah...did you torque all the oil pan bolts to spec? Believe me it makes a difference

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man, have you been taking bad luck lesson's from me??? [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

now that u mention it, it could be the back of the valve covers. uhm, torque to spec?? i just made sure they were really tight? and im positive its not tranny fluid. Im tempted to take the engine, tranny and tcase all out, do a top end rebuild on the engine and get a new tranny and tcase. and when i say top end rebuild i mean everything except the pistons and crank.

phill

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If it is spraying around it could be the front pump, now it could be your tranny coolant lines if their not tight.
    Good luck and let us know what you find. Eric
    I just saw that you know it's not tranny fluid. as for thr eng. oil it could be valve covers, oil presser line , distributor gasget.
    have fun.
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/&gt;http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/&lt;/a&gt;
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    &lt;a href="mailto:Cethern@interfold.com"&gt;Cethern@interfold.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Highlander on 08/20/01 07:11 PM.</FONT></P>

8. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

its either the oil pressure line or the valve covers, i also think its the cooler lines for the tranny but i thought those contained ATF and not oil.

phill

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Double check you oil sender/pressure unit. Mine leaked like a hose for awhile and I thought it was my rear main seal.

10. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

mine isn't hooked up, i just put a bolt in there but i guess that could be a problem.

phill

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Spray some brakleene up there and clean the area of. And see if it gives you that black dribble. May try it to see if it works or gets worse with the engine on.

12. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

When I said the tranny that was before you said that it wasn't ATF. One time I forgot to put a gasget under the dist. and that thing leaked really good. Have you cleaned the motor up good then start it. It would give you a fresh look at the leak.

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i'm guessing the rear main seal too. Found out mine was bad today when the tranny shop took the tranny out, and it sounds like the problem is in that area.

90K5

14. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You said ypou made sure the bolts were really tight? Now you may have warped the pan by overtightening the bolts. Especially if youre using a cork gastet.

15. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

nope, i spent the extra 20 bux and got me a rubber gasket. rear main seal, isnt that the back park of the oil pan, cause if it is i just replaced that. and if that isnt it i just rebuilt the engine so im positive that cant be it.

16. flblazer

flblazer 1/2 ton status

i had the same thing check the oil filter or it may be the pan is bent alittle bring it to a tranny shop an tell them its slipin an they will take the pan off after a test drive i did that an they gave me a new trany filter screen an that was it heheheh

can some 1 find me a ford i need to take a pee still peein on that ford just have to keep goin dam i can not stop pissin:) k5s kings