Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my day just got really bad... **update w/pics**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jul 15, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The Jimmy went to the shop today to get the rear main seal replaced. I just don't have the time before our family vacation to Colorado. We are supposed to be leaving next Saturday (27th). Towing the camper to Buena Vista CO and doing some light wheeling in the mountains. My g/f and kids have never seen mountains.

Well, just got a call from the shop...

...when they dropped the pan to replace the rear main, they found part of a lifter.

My day just took a turn for the worse. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

**update**
    well, the engine is toast. Apparently the roller tip rockers that I was told didn't need guide plates, did! So, they have been walking on the valves and sending everything to hell. I have 2 bent pushrods, several damaged valves, damaged rockers, mangled spring retainers, and enough metal throughout all the bearings to make life MORE than interesting.

Man this sucks.

Luckily I just bought that K20 with a 15K mile motor. The plan is to take it to the shop tomorrow and have them swap in the motor from the K20. Then I will tow the K20 back home with the dead engine in the back. I will spend time over the next several months tearing the engine the rest of the way down and then building it back up again. This engine was only 7 months old with less than 6,000 miles on it. Sometimes life really sucks. And today is one of those days.
    /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

**update with pics**
    Well, got the rig towed home last night. The guy said he had never carried anything this big on his flatbed. He was very nervous. Pic 1 Pic 2

Here are some pics of the engine damage. [This is a close up of cylinder #2 area. The missing lifter is the one found in the pan. You can see how bent the other pushrod is.

Here is a better shot of the whole engine. You can visibly see the whacked position of some of the rockers as well as the damage to the spring retainers. From first glance, I have several bent pushrods, a couple of bad lifters, a few damaged valves, and practically all the spring retainers have damage. There are also at least two bent rocker studs. i haven't had a chance to get into the cam yet.

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: my day just got really bad...

Bummer... sounds like a good time to swap a better cam in there: replace the timing chain, lifters, and cam all at the same time! Should be able to get a kit for around $250. Bring it home, and take care of it yourself when you have time after vacation. Take the K20 you just got instead! That will save you some $$$ too!

Bummer! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Look at it this way, at least it didn't sieze and break any internals! Could have been worse for sure!

-Dan

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

yeah, could have been a lot worse. but, then again, I just built this engine and dropped it in back in January! It already had a nice big cam and new everything. It was the big comp cams extreme 4x4 with nearly .5" lift!

the thought of using the k20 passed my mind, but only briefly. I don't think it is going to be the right vehicle for transporting the family on such a trip just yet. The clutch on it is questionable. Last thing i want is to get stuck halfway somewhere. That stretch from Amarillo up to Clayton NM is pretty darn desolate!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

How does a lifter end up fraggin with no ticking or anything? Did they show you the piece or are they trying to take you for an expensive ride? I'd want to be there when the top end comes off and confirm that it wasn't something an unscruplous mechanic dropped into the pan himself...

Call me paranoid...go ahead I dare ya /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

rene

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

tRusty your paranoid.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

It had developed a real bad vibration at lower RPM recently. It also had a valve clatter that i hadn't had a chance to get into. It has been one thing at a time, if you know what I mean.

7. tRustyK5

Damn...i wonder if the little retainer on the top of the lifter broke or something? I've never seen a lifter do anything but wear out and mushroom in the bore...even then it was still in one piece.

Too much valve spring pressure maybe or the spring binding? .500" is a fair bit of lift...

Rene...so I'm paranoid /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The guy thinks it simply might have been a bad lifter. He said such damage is usually from too high of RPM. But, when it does from that, it usually causes many more problems than a single lifter.

When I built the motor, I installed the full Comp Cams kit. That included the cam, lifters, springs, retainers, and timing chain all "matched". Only thing not replaced were the pushrods. I also installed roller tip rockers. ONLY thing I can figure is something was too tight or something was faulty and just let go. I just can't figure it.

I will just be keeping my fingers crossed tonight that the cam isn't damaged. But, I think that is a pipe dream.

9. tRustyK5

Save the parts and contact Comp Cams...maybe they'll pony up a bit for the defective product. At the very least you should get a new set of lifters. I'd push for a replacement cam too...but i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Sorry to hear your bad luck!

Rene

10. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I agree with tRusty, it seems a little far fetched that lifter would break and make it's way to the oil pan. It would have to be a small chunk of the bottom of the lifter. But I would think that the cam would wear flat, or you would bend a pushrod before a lifter would crack and fall apart if something was to tight. There is always the possibility of a faulty lifter, but I would check it out for myself. If it is a faulty lifter, I would think that Comp Cams would replace the lifters and cam.

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear it. That really sucks! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Have fun w/ the new K20. If you need someone to replace the clutch, I have a friend that had originally quoted Scott ~$450 to do it turn-key. I like that truck. Especially the lovely hack job on the fenders. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Have fun in Co. I did. Really liked CSM.

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Contact the company tomarrow that made the lifters and sometimes they will ship the lifters and any other part that is bad or bent if it was done when the part broke. and (cross your fingers) they may even pay for the repairs....

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I contacted CompCams this morning. When I installed the cam, I used one of their kits complete with lifters, springs, timing chain, everything. Since it was their lifters, they plan to warranty the lifters and the cam, if it is damaged as a result. If I hadn't used their lifters I would be SOL.

The shop hasn't torn into the top of the engine yet, but they are saving all the pieces and parts for return to CompCams. The shops opinion right now is that the spring on the top of the lifter broke which allowed the lifter to come apart and shot the plunger part of the lifter right through to the pan. big question right now is where is the rest of the lifter and did it damage the cam on its journey. Should know this afternoon.

14. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Ooo...that sucks!

I hope they'll warentee the cam and lifters. Even though, you're still out the time/labor /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First off, sorry to hear you had problems (that is always a bummer).

But this is another example/reason why spending a few extra dollars (for the install kit) saves money in the end (if you had not bought one their install kits, they probably wouldn't have warrantied it especially if it turns out to be a spring problem). You said they will warranty the lifters and cam, but will they give you new spring(s) as well, as that is what the shops "thinks" caused it?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

16. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

No doubt on the kit. This was a brand new crate motor that i wanted to add a little umph to. When I talked with the cam people originally, they said that the new OEM lifters and such would probably be okay if the crate had never been turned, but they highly recommended replacing everything together. The cam alone was going to be around $100. The whole kit was about $250. I decided to go for the whole kit. I sold the parts I pulled off the crate on ebay (cam, lifters, springs, timing chain) for about $75 total. It has definitely worked out. Had I mixed and matched, I would be pure SOL.

BTW - It wasn't the valve spring. On the top of the lifter there is a little spring looking retainer (part of the lifter). That is what holds the lifter together. That probably broke which allowed the lifter to come apart. The plunger for the lifter is what was found in the pan.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if the plunger came out then the cam might be fine. The rest of the lifeter proably stayed together and as long as the plunger didn't get between the cam and any other parts you proably are ok. Just a set of lifters and maybe a push rod.
    Did the plunger have any damage on it?

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Guess that's what happens when I don't read carefully enough /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

In that case, like Grim said, you might have gotten lucky....Let's Hope so anyways.

19. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: my day just got really bad... **update got worse**

check the top for the update

20. tRustyK5

Re: my day just got really bad... **update got worse**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Apparently the roller tip rockers that I was told didn't need guide plates, did!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Who provided that nugget of info? If it was Comp Cams they owe you more than just a cam. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Sorry to hear of the misfortune, but at least you do have another motor to go in for the meantime. Not exactly the original plan but still beter than having no motor other than the damaged one.

Keep us posted!

Rene