Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My day....opinions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by baldamish, Jun 12, 2005.

1. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

A real good friend of mine got his hands on a wolf hybrid a few years ago, he was a great dog, but now he's just mean! I can't go near him w/out him growling and snarling at me. My buddy probably doesn't treat him real well, he's always playing dominance games and I think that confuses the dog. So they went on vacation and asked if I would watch him. I have two dogs and he seems to like my dogs, but i was a bit sketchy (with good reason). I hesitantly told him yes. He brought the dog (Cane) over and after the first few hours he actually settled in and appeared somewhat content to be here. I don't have kids puppies or play dominance games with him. Last night as me and the girlfriend were going to bed he crawled up and wanted petted and wouldn't stop licking my face (still a bit scary seeing how he's a 110lb wolf dog thing). I kinda thought everything was well, then he went after my shepard, course my shepard is just now a year and still pesters everyone and everything, but then Cane went after my other dog, and that kinda did it for me. I don't like to see dogs mistreated, but i had to take him back to my buddies house and put him in the basement where he usually stays, i'll go and check on him and feed him of course, but I still feel bad, I just don't think you should get a dog just to put him in the basement..........what do you all think? Should I try and keep him here for the full two weeks and try and see if he gets better with my dogs (risking one of them getting seriously hurt or killed even), or stick with him back at his house? I feel like crap because i told my buddy i'd take care of him.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Leave him at the other house and just go check on him. Telling your buddy Cane almost tried to kill both your dogs and you didn't want to risk them being together should be a good enough explanation. As long as you feed and water the dog while he's gone, what more could he ask for?

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The only problem I could see was when he needs to go potty and such. Does he mind well enough to be able to let him out a couple of times a day?

I don't think you should keep him at your house however. We tried to adopt a couple of husky hybrids once and all they did was get after all of our other animals.

We ended up takin them to a huskie rescue.

Don't get mad at the hybrid though as it's not his fault. They're naturally domineering animals and I think you're buddy is goin at it all wrong. He'll never be the pack leader no matter how hard he tries.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

****ing people and their damn stupidity thinking that a wild animal makes a great pet..................... :rolleyes:

5. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I completely agree bubba, but they ended up with him and i felt i should help him out, i appreciate the opinions guys. I guess i knew the right thing to do, but sometimes you like to hear some reinfocement. An update, it looks like my cousin ( with alot of property, no other dogs or kids) is willing to let him stay there for the two weeks, and depending on how it goes with the dog, he said the dog is welcome to stay there. So at least he won't be living on a city lot in the basement of a crappy house!

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I had a friend about ten years back with a wolf hybrid, had the same kind of problems and they had over 100 acres, ended up having to put it down after it attacked one of their heelers. Like Bubba said, wild animals are not pets.