Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My dilemma.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vdubbin86, May 28, 2002.

1. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

I need some advise as to what I should do.

I've been wanting to put an S10 body onto my Blazer. I know, I know, It's not really something that should be done but I'm not sure on my choices.

From what I have found out about the swap so far is that the wheelbase of the Blazer is about 17" shorter than the S10, but about 10" wider. So that just means I would have to shorten the S10 box and toss on a set of flares to keep me legal.

Now the Dilemma. I really like the look of the Blazers. And I love being able to pull off the top and go cruising. But I'm not too sure that the body is worth rebuilding. To do that I would need to replace Both doors, 1 fender, both quarters, the tailgate and There is a hole in the floor near the back by the fuel door.(Thee is probably more than that, I haven't had a real close look underneath yet) Plus the Dash is all cracked up, the drivers seat is worn out and the interior Carpet is near shot. So I'm basically looking at a total rebuild.

Now for the S10. It has been parked in my driveway since I blew the engine in November. I just put some money into it before it blew. I put on a roll bar, grill guard, New Nerf bars sitting in the shed for it also. The body is near rust free and the interior is in good shape. The engine was a 350 with an Edelbrock intake and carb, Elec fuel pump, flex fan, and a few other goodies. Tranny was a newly rebuilt Th350 with shift kit and B&M Starshifter. (Lots of good spare parts)

I could either Put the body from the S10 onto the Blazer and keep the Shifter, Have a spare tranny, plus all engine accessories. Or I could put the 305 from the Blazer into the S10, Sell it, and use the money from the sale to get a bigger engine for the Blazer and to fix the body. (I'll probably still be short quite a bit of cash, Which I won't have any extra) I'm guessin I'd get in between $2500 and $3000 for the S10.

Sorry for the novel, But that's the whole story. I don't really know how much it would cost to rebuild the body. Plus money is tight for me right now and the wife would lose it if I started spending a lot over the money from the sale. So what do you guys think I should do?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd get the S-10 up and running, sell it and use the money to find a rust free southern K5 tub. I have done that twice, they're out there and it's way easier to swap a tub than to rebuild one. Keep your eyes on the K5's wanted and for sale forum, they come up from time to time.

Another alternative is to swap a pick-up cab on and shorten up a longbox or shortbox to fit the wheelbase. You could also build a flat deck...

Rene

3. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

Finding a rust free tub would be hard up here. (I'm in Canada) And if I did they would probably want an arm and a leg for it. If I went with the C10 cab & box would the body mounts line up? Cause if they didn't it is just as well that I went with the S10 body I already have.

Anyone know the approximate cost that it would run me to restore the old girl? I'd be going new with the quarters, fender and floor panels and I could probably snag a couple of doors used for around $50 each.

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

(I'm in Canada)

<hr></blockquote>

So is Rene(tRustyK5) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm just outside Vancouver, B.C.

I drove down to Austin TX last spring for a rust free 82 Blazer. It was a rolling chassis with no motor, but reasonably complete. I bought it from a member here for a reasonable price and brought it home. Due to a clerical error made by a previous owner the VIN plate number and the VIN on the title did not match (it was off by one number...) I sold the bare tub for parts as well as a few other goodies off of it. I would have done something illegal but I was offered a 74 blazer from San Diego for free by another member here. (thanks Talldogg!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif) So I packed up the wife and kids and made it a vacation of sorts. I now have a 74 Blazer that is 95% rust free (a little rot in the outer rockers...really minor) that awaits a time when I have a bit of money to work on it.

Picking up an older southern truck isn't out of the question, you just have to be a litle creative. Ask your wife if she likes Arizona..."Wanna see the Grand Canyon dear?"/forums/images/icons/wink.gif and bring back a little memento for yourself./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Barring that the pick-up cab does bolt up to a Blazer frame, and the box would be cake. Personally I'd shorten a stepside box...it'd be easier to do and would look pretty cool IMHO.

Rene