Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My dog likes to eat poop. Anyone ever had to correct this with their dog?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Craig Artzner, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 10-month old pug who likes to eat $hit. She will follow my Australian Shepherd around and try to feast on her turds as soon as they are dropped. What is that? :mad:

This just started recently. Up until a month ago this was not a problem. We have a nice big fenced-in backyard where I used to just let the dogs out and then let them back in later. It's gotten to the point where I have to go outside with her every time I let her out just to chaperone.

In case you were wondering why this is an issue, When she eats enough poop, she pukes. And let me tell you that it is the most disgusting puke EVER for obvious reasons.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Talked to your vet?

My parent's dog Whitney does that. She's getting on 10 years old and will still sneak the occasional turd or two.

I've been told it has something to do with the vitamins and minerals and a possible deficiency in what she has...but I'm not sure exactly.

You usually remember her "bad habit" about the time she's licking your face...:crazy:

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Dumb question:

Have you tried feeding her some food.....:whistle: ?

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Sounds like you need to feed your pug more..:wink1:

EDIT.. minute to slow..

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:rotfl: :haha: :rotfl: :haha:

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I once had an irish setter / chessie mix that would take his poop, throw it in the air, and catch it.. he never ate it though..

Cropophagia ( eating poop ) may have a few causes.. one being a vitamin / mineral deficiency..the other being boredom.. you could see what google has to say.. wife says you can buy pills for the problem.. assuming they are vitamins.

Tom

7. Craig Artzner

She gets fed plenty. She's a chunk. I guess I'll have to let the dogs out at different times. I have a hunch she won't eat her own rosebuds but I wouldn't put it past her. :rolleyes:

8. Craig Artzner

Thanks Tom I'll try the Google too...

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

As Ron White said... The perfect dog is the one that eats its own poo. Some dogs just do that, my huskey does it all the time. There are drops that you can put on their food to make it taste bad...?

10. Craig Artzner

I really wouldn't care that much 'cept for the fact that the poo/puke usually makes it's way back out of the dog and onto my living room carpet.

11. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

rub his nose in it?

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Shock collar? Soon as he starts to take a bite give him the juice.

13. Craig Artzner

That might work outside (if I could even catch her, she's fast and small). But rubbing that $hit into my carpet with her nose would definitely be a bad idea.

I think I'm just going to have to leash her up and walk her around out there.

14. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've heard the vitamin deficiency theory also, And don't let em near Horse crap, they have a feast on that stuff.

15. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I have first hand experience with this. And the shock collar is not only effective but a tiny itty little bit fun.

My roommates pug would eat all the **** he could get face into. So I got a BIG DOG shock collar and put it around his tummy. Whenever he went outside I would watch him from the back porch and BAM!!! When he would start to eat a turd, I'd hit him with the full volts. Now this pug, like most, is super hard headed and it took quite a few times. But now, NO POOP DOES THE PUG EAT.

Now for those of you who are shocked and apauled at these actions, hear me now and listen to me later. I love my dogs, and I had tried EVERYTHING else, even the trip to the vet and vitamins and blah blah blah blah. Then one day I received one to many terd pukes on the living room floor and I decided drastic actions were necessary. And hence the move to the shock collar.

FYI - PUGS ARE STUPID, cute as hell and funny as can be, BUT STUUUUUUUPID!!!! Oh and their ears are really really soft. I want a pair of slippers made of pug ears. :wink1::wink1::wink1:

16. Craig Artzner

Lee I read your post here to my girlfriend and we had a pretty good laugh about it. Good stuff.

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

One of my dogs used to sneak in and eat the catshiat out of the litter box, for years we had to struggle with shutting the door to the room, even for a second. But it was my wife's cat, and eventually I talked her into putting him to sleep.

(JK, he was 16 and really sick)

Oh, I've used the shock collar for barking and acting stupid on the dogs and it does work pretty good. Mine has a beeper to give them a warning before shocks but my dog had already decided it was a bee stinging her so when you beep her she just looks around in the air for the bee like a retard.

18. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is nothing man... My dog just turned three and he humps his face. I mean he puts his tool in his mouth and jyrates man it is crazy. The vet said it is just something he enjoys

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have fish.... and I think I'll keep it that way with all this K9 poop eating talk...:doah:

20. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:eek1: Why have we not seen video of this yet? :haha: