Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My doggy spent the day in the operating room!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Aug 21, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

John and I got a Yellow lab 10 years ago as a puppy, when we first got together, VERY healthy dog, very active, runs with the quads etc...

few months ago, we noticed a "growth" of some sort on his back, near his tail. It was small, grew to the size of a grape. Made him an appointment, had it drained, vet said it was a "fatty cyst" whatever that is. Said no problems, etc.... when they drained it they used a syringe....

After that the growth grew... up to the size of an apple. Not tender, he doesn't seem to notice it. when you pet him, or the kids walk by and brush up against it, he doesn't seem to notice etc....

Last week, I noticed it was very red, under his fur in that area, called the vet's, said, we need this thing drained again. appt was for today, to put a temporary drain in...in/out operation, local anestetic etc.. tell me to call them at 1pm to come pick him up.

Call at 1pm, vet's receptionist says, no ma'am, unfortunatly when Dr. Neely got "into" it, it was nastier than she had anticipated and she had to remove it. uuhh okay WTF does that mean?.... she tells me he will be ready after 3pm, I tell her, I'll wait for John to come home from work, then I can come down without the kids etc... arrive at 530, to pick him up, and he has a shaved back, 35 stiches, which have to come out in 2 weeks, 10 days of antibiotics, and a strict order to only go outside to use the bathroom..... okay this is an outdoor dog, GREAT!

I spoke to the vet, and she said it had a very greyish fluid inside not like a fatty cyst, and has sent a biopsy of it to some lab, for testing, but she feels it is nothing, and should not return.

Bring the dog home, he acts like he's drunk, poor thing can't go up the stairs on the deck, can't stand long enough to eat, which he normally does ASAP after he wakes up in the morning, and again at supper time.... he drank close to 1 gallon of water, ate a bowl of food, and laid back down in the living room..... he hasn't moved since. Worst part, she side of his backside that they removed the lump is the side he normally laid on. now he can't seem to get comfortable....

I'm hoping that this thing doesnt come back, the tests are negative, and I don't notice any draining, or increase in fluid buildup at the incision site.

The kids are freaked, why is he shaved, why does he have stiches why is there blood on his back etc.... uuggh try to explain this to a 4 & 6 year old!

sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Brandy

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hope the big guy is ok. I'll bet he is loving being in the house with everyone! I have a Golden who I just love dearly. I'm also fostering a Rat Terrier who is a *handful* but pretty comical.

Keep us posted on the results if you can.

3. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Poor dog /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I have one that had an infection, and watching him get over the surgery was tuff. Especially the first 12 hours or so when they're still doped up.

4. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

You did what was best for your puppy, that is what matters. I promise you that he loves you, and soon this will only be a momory.

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Im so sorry Brandy. At least the surgery is over now and he can be on the mend.

I have had a very sick animal for the past few days. He may not make it and its been heartbreaking to see him suffer. Ok he is a hamster but he means allot to me and I feel that any animal deserves to be treated like any other loved one. He has Phemonia. His vet bill so far has been 200$. He cant breathe and he is covered in the stuff that is comming out his nose from his lungs. It kills me to see him suffer like this but I keep giving him his antibiotics, give him food in a eye dropper and so far he has been able to go to his little water bottle to drink. But it doesnt look good for my little guy.

Luckly for you your doggy will come out just fine and he can go back to being a happy doggy. Thankfully you are not one of those people who feel that its just an animal and not worth the money to help him. You are a very loving mommy to him so he will turn out just fine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif My parents have had a cocker spaniel that so far has lived 13 years and he is as happy and healthy as a puppy. Ive heard of dogs living allot longer too. So Im sure you have many many more years together /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

WOW!!!! Sounds like you have had a hell of a day.

I hope everything is okay with your dog.

7. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

maybe you should take him to the hampstital /forums/images/icons/wink.gif hope the little fella's feeling better /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

how's sparky doing? my 11 year old dobie has one of those cysts under her tail about grape sized too, but I'm afraid of opening a can of worms by having surgery done. would hate to have anything happen to her now /forums/images/icons/frown.gif , got her at 8 wks. and she goes e-v-e-r-y-where with us(no kids) so we're probably a little more attached to her than most people would be. I know two people that are going to be a major wreck when somthing happens to this dog /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

9. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

We took him to the hospital. And the vets the next day. Over 200 dollars. But money doesnt mean anything when it comes to a life. I spent the next 4 days with him day and night watching him while he suffered trying to nurse him with his medications and love. It has been the worst week ever. He passed away yesterday. Ive never been so tore up over an animal before. He was such a sweetheart. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

How is your doggy doing Brandy? I hope he is getting better every day. Please give an update.

10. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that Mandy /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Dogs sure do have a way of becoming as important as any family member.

My dog is 2 years now. I pray that he has many good years. It will be a tragedy when he leaves me.

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about losing a pet. You did all you could, at least you have that satisfaction. I made the decision last week to sell out my goats and it has been a very emotional thing. They are getting great homes but I will miss them terribly. Thing is, I'm the only one here who is into them, they cost money, and I've been so tired lately with the MS. The last 2 are leaving by Monday night and I've been so sad /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . Maybe someday I'll have them again. They are great pets.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Mandy, I'm so sorry to hear that /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif You did all you could, how is Abby doing?? she didn't get anything from him did she???

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

-Jeremy

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I hope that the dog feels better. I think it's an older dog thing, exactly what mine had. They told us fatty cysts. Eventually they turned into cancer though. But she was 14 1/2 when it came to that, so she was an old dog when it finally won out. Hopefully it comes back negative, which it should if the vet isn't too concerned. Usually they see it enough that they can read that stuff a mile away....