Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My doubler question...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 30, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, after figuring out my crawl ratio I would have with 5.13's, np205 and a th-400, I was doomed for rock crawling. So before I didn't want a doubler because with the amount of torque the engine im building would make, it would easily break my axles and whatnot. So first off I decided that I will knock it down to around 500-600 HP. still alot but I will be careful. So to increase the crawl ratio, the only way I can is to use a doubler, so I am going to get one eventually.

Enough of the BS, down to the question... on the ORD site it has a list of doubler set ups, but if I ran a th-400-np205, then a 203 box, will it still work? And how bad will my driveshaft angle be with around 8" of lift and axles moved back around 3 inches each way and using the doubler? I won't be buying one for a long time, not until I get axles and enough money for a doubler set-up. Thanks

P.S, please go easy on me, I stil don't have alot of knownledge about drivetrain to fully understand, so whoever can answer my qestion, go easy.
    Thanks

Steve

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The 203 has to go in front of the 205. A doubler is 6" longer than a 205 and the same length as a complete 203. All the doubler info you could possibly want is on their website.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, dont worry you can rock crawl with a 400/205/5.13's combo (25:1) sometimes you'll just have to two foot it (one foot on the brake and the other on the gas)until you can get a doubler..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yup, 203 in front of the 205, with the 8" lift you should be fine but you will need to use a CV driveshaft but that's becoming everyday stuff now. The thing to watch is setting the TH400 up for a 205 then having to swap it all over to a 203 setup. The output shaft and adapter housing are different between the two, so take a look at our site and figure out the different options. Usually you save money in the long run by just putting the right parts in to start with. This may be one of those times.

We do have some TH400/NP205 adapters for a pretty decent price so we can get you going there but you're still going to toss that adapter when you go to the Doubler.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I SLOWLY read over the description and all that on it again. I think I finally get it, but one more question. The price for a 203 for the 205 is 740$ I think, is that for the complete range box and everything? If I found a 203 range box, could I buy the doubler parts seperate to cut the costs? Just curious. Don't quite know what I'm doing yet /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

That price does NOT include the any part of the 203 or 205. Only the shaft, adapter and hardware to connect the two. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, so in order for the doubler to be complete I need the doubler kit, and the GM or Dodge NP203 gearbox, so the doubler kit is 740.00, and the gearbox is 350, so I need approx. 1000.00 before shipping fees and all that. Better get saving...

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't forget about shifters, another $170.00 if you only go twin stick or $250.00 if you go triple stick.

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

IIRC. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif what does that mean. I see it used all the time.

thanks

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If I Remember Correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I see.....

thanks

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

triple stick for me /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Oh I forgot, I also need the fixed yoke thing /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif $740.00
    +$350.00
    =$1090.00 American.

Is the $1000.00 above what you already have or Canadian math? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

240-triple stick
    350-fixed yoke
    740-doubler

=
    1330 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. Stephen

Doubler kit: $740
    shifter (3 stick): $265
    Machine shift rails for front drive: $65
    32 spline input conversion for NP205: $200
    Rebuilt NP203 with Doubler kit installation labor: $300 (depends a lot on application)
    Total: $1570

Wheel hard with no worries: $priceless

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I already have the 203, well I will when kennyw brings it by in august...
    How do I get my shift rails machined? I wouldn't beable to do it myself /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    How hard is it to install the doubler?
    soo.. 1270.00 AMERICAN... I better get saving /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    But in the end, it's all worth it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Mr watson /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. Stephen

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Long weekend, working on moving shop rather than office stuff so this took a little while...

For the shift rails, just call us and we'll get an order sheet going for them, then send them in with a tag on each shift rail with your name, addy and phone #. That way if they're lost in the mail they can find their way home, and when they get here, we can make sure they get back to you.

The Doubler is extremely simple to install in the 203 gearbox, it's about a 2 hour project with very little required as far as special tools. You'll want some big snapring pliers and that's about it.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The way money is now, it will be my fall/winter project, so I will have lots of time to learn, and slowly get it together.
    I don't mean to sound stupid, but do JUST the shift rails come off when I send them to you, or what do I send?
    Would it be worth it to buy big snapring pliers, or just go to an auto place and rent them?
    Thanks for the help, and I will be looking forward to talking to you later in the year (september /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) for my purchase of these items /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

20. Stephen

Yup, we just need the 2 3/4" rods to modify.

Not sure on the buy/rent thing for the snapring pliers. If you want to do this more later, they might be a wise purchase.