Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My drag link is too short, what now?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Nov 4, 2004.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Everything was fine, then I removed the shims from my front springs and put 1" longer shackles on (rotates the steering arm down). Now the draglink doesn't have enough adjustment; the threads are right at the clamps on the adjusting sleeve. I noticed that one drag link end is longer than the other. So, right away I think that I could just use two long ends, but I don't think that it would thread together then.<font color="red"> Is one draglink end a right hand thread and the other a left hand thread?</font> *I would go look, but my truck is 25 miles away, I won't see it until this weekend* <font color="red"> Suggestions?</font>

2. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Yes they are right and left hand threads, so you would not be able to put another long one on it. It sounds like you may need to get a drop drag link instead to compensate for the distance.

Or go crossover!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't buy a drop draglink.

If you're out of adjustment you probably will need a drop pitman arm, or go crossover.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Crossover would be nice, but it's a little more $$$ than I want to spend on the truck right now.

Are the dropped pitman arms right at 2"? I could take the draglink off and hold it down a bit to see if it may work like that, if it looks like it will work you will get a pm for that and a steering brace /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're advertised as a 2" drop, they're really 1 1/2" of drop exactly.

Steering braces are in stock and ready to go, the last two @ $110 shipped. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Drop drag links suck, aviod them like the plague.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drop drag links suck, aviod them like the plague.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I don't like them either.

My friend uses a dropped pitman arm, dropped drag link, raised steering arm, and a 3" steering block... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif don't ask...

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif don't ask...

[/ QUOTE ]

don't need to

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wish you guys would have told me this before I bought my 4" drop drag link. I really have not had any problems with it, but if you guys say they suck, then I will change it over to a drop pitman arm; especially since I am about to put a brand new steering gear box and steering pump on my truck, I may as well change it while I am at it. With 4" of lift am I to assume I need a 4" drop pitman arm?

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

With 4" of lift I would run a 2" pitman arm with the stock draglink and steering arm.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dana 60 front axle? 4" of lift you may consider a 3" steering block or a 3" block in connection with a drop pitman arm. Like Tim said drop pitmans are only like 1.5". Drop draglinks do suck.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You can do crossover cheap, brother. Try a 2wd chevy steering box with a grand cherokee drag link and make your own steering arm.