Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my drive shaft magically grew!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, May 2, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i dont know how, but after my last trip i noticed i have NO play in my drive shaft's slip yolk. i mean i slide it on the out put shaft of the 241 and it slides all the way on and i still have to wiggle it and remove the u-joint caps just to get it installed, what coulda caused this? its a newly re-manned t-case also. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i'll take pics tomorrow if that will help /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Maybe your truck saw a female Blazer and that's what made its shaft grow longer /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

How do you tell what gender a truck is? All of mine are "girls", but that's like the Navy... even boats named after presidents are called "her."

-- A

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I bet your shaft is too long, call Jess and see if he can get you the measurements that its supposed to be and see if yours is too long for your app.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you haul anything heavy lately? Maybe your springs are sagging. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I think trucks are definitely guys, even more. They have 2 shafts, and 2 rods on either end with big balls in the center. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you haul anything heavy lately? Maybe your springs are sagging. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah i hauled 500-800 lbs recently and wheeled on some rocks with it in the rear, i dont think that little weight would make the stock springs sag though.
    and jason, how would it grow, thats the problem, it was the correct length when i bought it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

hmmm maybe try lubing the splines to see if it slides ok

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

there lubricated, it slides smooth, but i know its fully inserted, i'll pull it this week and see if anything wierd stands out.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only thing that will cause this is sagging springs. When you measured for the correct length driveshaft did you maybe have the truck off the ground then put it back down and not rolled it back and forth to settle the springs first and now that gave you a false measurement?

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my drive shaft magically grew!

there lubricated, it slides smooth, but i know its fully inserted, i'll pull it this week and see if anything wierd stands out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Family site reminder! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Exactly what are you talking about here? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Have you checked that your rear axle didn't move forward. Maybe the centering pins broke and you axle moved forward? How short are we talking about? ANd just out of curiosity, why did you have the shaft out? Anything that may have cause things to shift? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey Brandon
    I like Esteban's Idea about the rear axle
    but i also gotta ask
    as you said the tranny was recently worked on
    3possiobility
    1 the bell housing is broke and your trannny - t case adpter and Torque converter is the only thing holding it togeteher
    Is your Factory T case torque rod still connected ??
    2 your adapter is broke ( very unlikly if no leaks )
    3 the tranny shop changed adapters on ya or didnt lower the t case or lowered it and it previsouly wasnt
    4. this 1 is a long s shot but they put a 208 in instead of a 241 ?? as if i rember correctly the 208 is a little longer then the 241
    well when ya figure it out let us know
    I know I am curious
    R

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought mine grew too but it was just morning wood.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks doc, but it was my t-case that was re-manufactured, not the tranny, and i installed it my self, so i know its the 214, i'll check on the rear axle and see if it moved any. Thanks for all the ideas!