Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My engine bay wiring is a mess

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DukeBoy88, Apr 23, 2003.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I tried a search but didn't find what I was looking for. I'd like to reroute my wiring and organise it better. I also found 2 disconnected wires in the loom that I haven't figured out what they go to yet. I may use wire looms again unless there is something else out there, but I'd like to relocate the wiring that wraps behind the distributor higher on the firewall as well as secure other wiring out of harms way. also thought of relocating my msd and coil inside the cab. anyone have pictures of what they did? looking for ideas. thanks in advance.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I just use conduit and attach it to stuff every so often using clips or zip ties. In the case of big fat wires I've added that won't fit inside existing conduit, I just zip tie it to the outside. Neat wiring stays out of harms way and makes everything look a lot better.

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

plastic or metal conduit? got a pic? I've thought about doing that.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

If it is a serious problem, go yank a harness from the junk yard that isnt touched, look for suburbans in the same years as your blazer, my father and I did this for his and then bought plastic wire loom at a parts store and it looked nice ,clean and new, also look into cleaners for electric parts and clean up everything while you are at it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Plastic. Strictly plastic automotive "convoluted tubing". Don't use anything that's intended for home wiring.

6. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

7. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I'm going to steal some ideas from you, thanks. Glen whats that extra fuse panel/relay center on your drivers well? and on your 205 what is plugged into the passenger side detent ball/spring location page 2 truck 006?

8. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

Thats a power center from a newer dodge truck,I wired every thing to fuse's and relays.with the relays it takes the load off of the switchs and supplys alt voltage about 14.0 volts to everything.
    that switch on the 205 is the 4wd indictor lamp sw.