Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Engine Sucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bgchvy79, Mar 6, 2004.

1. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Aight guys, I'm finishin' up the first stage of my truck, and It's been sitting since October w/o running, and so today I'm out there and I turn the key and the engine just spins. We poured gas in the carb and it did no good, we've torn my distributor all apart and put ti back together and checked plug wires and replaced plugs and we can't figure it out, do any of ya'll have an idea what it could be? Also, the distributor was installed new the day before I parked it, so I'd imagine it's still fine...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

do you have spark? im guessing its in the electrical /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

The distributor's probably not in right, that's the last thing that was touched and all.

4. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

possibly bad gas?can you smell if the engine is getting any gas? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

All engines suck. That's how they draw the air/fuel in /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

If you look down the carb and see a shot of gas when you pump the throttle, then the accelerator pump is working. Based on this alone, you should be able to get enough fuel for the engine to fire a couple times. Have you put a timing light on it?

6. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

We're gonna try the timing light today, I know it's getting gas b/c we poured some straight into the carb. Also, the distributor was working fine after installation, I drove it home that night and to school and back the next day w/o it missing a beat...

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Did ya flood it????

8. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

I don't think so, we didn't pour much in there and it was just turnin' even b4 we put some in there

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Make sure you pull the plugs and either change them or clean them real good. I had the same problems some time back and it was not starting because they were soaked with fuel. Quick change, adjust timing and ignition!

10. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Plugs are fine, but we decided the distributor is fine b/c we tore it apart and replaced everything, the wires are brand new, I bought 'em yesterday...anybody have any more ideas?

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Does it have spark?????????????????????????

12. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Nope. Not sparkin', I got my brother to stick his finger in the boot while I turned the key...

13. bigyellowjimmy

Do you have 12v to the coil and is the wire plugged into the batt side of the coil?

14. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Yep....I'm beginning to think the truck just hates me...

15. bigyellowjimmy

If your distributor is getting 12v when cranking and its not producing any spark then its time to look at the distributor. Remove the cap.....is the rotor turning when the engine cranks? If so the next step is to check the module, auto parts stores can usually check them or if you have a spare you can throw it in and try it. The next step (if the module is good) is to check the pickup coil. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

The rotor is spinning, we checked that when we found TDC to make sure the wires were on right, and also I installed a new coil today and I'm not sure about the module, I'll have to check on that...I guess that's the only thing it could be

17. bigyellowjimmy

What year/make/model are you working on?

18. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Well, that's a long story, but I'm pretty sure the engine is between a 75 and 80, the front of the truck is a 79 and the rest is an 81, it has one axle out of a 73 blazer and one out of a 78 suburban amd right now the truck is a K10, but to add to the fun, that engine was swapped in before I got the truck, so I know very little about it. It is a 350 though, and when I replaced my oil pump the gasket I used was off of a 75-80 350...sooo i'm not sure if that'll answer your question or not.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. bigyellowjimmy

Ok, so it has an HEI distributor, right? When you say you already replaced the "coil" Im wondering if you replaced the ignition coil that sits on top of the dist cap. There is a pickup coil as well. If the module tests ok the next step would be to remove the distributor and replace the pickup coil. Keep in mind that often you can buy a brand new HEI distributor at speed shops for around $149 which include everything so dont waste too much $$$ on your old one. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Where is the pickup Coil?