Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Broke84, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Broke84

Broke84 Registered Member

OK, here's one for the moron files...
    When I bought the truck, I took the guy's word for it that it was a 350. But I was thinking about it, and it could be a 305, 350, or even a diesel for all I know (of course using reg. gas probably rules out the diesel part.) But you know what I mean, I can't tell by just looking in there. Are there any significant markings or physical differences that would give away the engine size? Boy, I feel like a retard, but hey I gotta figure it out some way...thanks.

2. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Look for the emissions stuff on the core support. I wanna say in the upper right hand corner it should say 5.0liters or 5.7liters. Otherwise, you need to find the numbers on the block.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

look at the back of the motor on the drivers side. you may need a mirror if you cant quite see back there but find the casting number then just put that in a google search and it will tell you what it is off of. you can do the same with the heads, just pull off the valve cover and the numbers will be in there somewhere.

4. Broke84

Broke84 Registered Member

Thanks, the emissions sticker is still from the original 305, it says 5.0 Liter. I'll have to see what I can find on the back of the block. It's pretty cramped back there, so I'll probably just look under the valve covers. Thanks again.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Look for the suffix code.

Lean over the core support, look down directly behind the alternator. There is a flat pad where the head meets the block, this code typically tells you EXACTLY what the motor is. Usually a partial VIN from the donor vehicle, plus a 3 letter code (like CXX) at the end. That's the suffix code, and will tell you engine size, HP, carb, year, and vehicle.

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

cast numbers, and if it has a dist or spark wires-prolly not a diesel :D