Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My EXPERIENCE swapping to BBC and hydro clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Jul 5, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Well, I've spent the last three days working on my truck, swapping from small block with a manual clutch to my new 489 stroker BBC and hydraulic clutch. Whew! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The experience has not been pleasant at all. Last night, my dad and I struggled from 9pm to midnight, in a dimly lit garage, trying to mate the engine and bellhousing, wouldn't go, so we gave up.

In the morning, with good light, it was obvious that the motor mounts were the wrong ones, (thanks AutoZone /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and wouldn't allow the engine to go back the final 3/4" or so to meet the bell. Wasted a whole morning trying to locate the correct mounts, but only mounts for a small block engine seemed to bolt in properly, but again, we couldn't make the engine and bell meet, still off by approx 3/4", and the back of the driver side cylinder head was banging the firewall. By then it was 5:00 in the afternoon, and the engine still wasn't in.

Finally we determined that the engine fit the engine bay and motor mounts best if we installed it in the original factory location, which gave plenty of firewall clearance and HEI distributor clearance. Then I drilled new tranny crossmember bolt holes approx 3/4" ahead of the original ones.

The engine is in the original proper factory location, the tranny/tcase is shifted 3/4" forward, and my rear driveshaft is way too short, because of this and the 6" suspension lift. Anybody have a similar tale regarding the same swap? I really thought this should all be a straight bolt-in deal! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, I'm not finished yet, and I'm not sure what's gonna happen, but I've gotta keep plugging away at it. I really hope it turns out to be well worth the trouble, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif You'll be hearing from me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When I swapped in my BBC, I used the Energy Suspension inserts with my 350 mounts...I needed to modify the inserts a bit, but I had no alignment issuses at all...it was 45 min max to get the engine form the stand to bolted in...

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I swapped in a 454 in place of a straight 6. I hit the junk yard and picked up a pair of SBC motor mounts and it went right in no problems. Looking back on my whole swap I feel lucky. I took out the 3 speed manual trans and put in a SM465 4 speed. I didn't even check the output shafts until I was bolting it up (Got lucky there). don't know what I was thinking...a trans is a trans I guess /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Man...it sounds rough!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    But it will be worth it!!! BBC!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good Luck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif