Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My experience with dealing with 4wheelparts.com, never ever again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, May 4, 2005.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

This is just to give you guys a heads up on 4 wheelparts.com. I realize they are one of the biggest vendors for parts for our trucks and generally they have decent prices. But I just had a horrible time with them and figured I would share it with your guys so no one else has to go through it.

Story:

Blew out my 10 bolt so I picked up a 14FF and 8 lug conversion. Although I have two cars the blazer is my DD and the only car I could use to get to work at the time (other one in pieces).
    I needed new tires and rims, 8 lug and so I shopped online and found a package from tirepackage.com for 36x13.5x16 IROKS and procomp extreme 1069 mounted and balanced shipped to my door for $1220. 4wheelparts price was $1465 not mounted or balanced.
    The only benefit going with 4wheelparts is about an hour away in Orlando is a 4 wheelparts store and so I could just go pick them up that day, I needed them ASAP ALSO it was tax free weekend as well.

I called 4wheelparts to inquire about thier current sale and to make sure the local store would price match. The sales mans name was Greg and he was fairly rude, but I didn't mind that much. He "checked the stock" on the local store and said they didn’t have either the tires OR rims in stock. I thought crap!...but he offered me if I was to buy right then for $1215, he would have them to my door in 5 days at most 7. Siiighghhhhhh... I did it. I had him clarify the order 3 times to make sure there was no mix up. I hate verbal orders because people always mess something up. (I made sure to get the details like lugs and part numbers as well) Lastly, I told him to send me a confirmation email with the order confirmation.

3 days pass, no email, no charge. I call Greg up and ask him and he says that the order should be there on the 5th day. They had to ship the wheel from Cali to FL where there would be mounted on the IROKS THERE IN ORLANDO, FL and trucked up to me. WTF???? I told him you told me that Orlando didn't have any! Greg claimed that they must have got a truck or something. :mad:

Next day I call again, no updates

Friday comes along and no tires. I called Greg and tried to get a tracking number and he gives me one that doesn't work
    I then called the Orlando store to ask if they know anything. They claim #1 they don’t ever do order that way. Local branches don’t do work for the mail order. And more importantly #2 THEY HAVE TONS OF IROKS AND RIMS I NEEDED IN STOCK.

I was pissed and so Monday I call up a supervisor at 4 wheelparts and tell them about the Greg and the shipping time. They give me the same stupid FedEx tracking number that doesn't work. Call FedEx and ask them, no tires coming to me. Call back the supervisor, he does some research and fine out that the FedEx shipment was canceled and they sent it on some po-dunk company. He also informed me it just then shipping out that after noon, a whole 10 days after I ordered. I assume to save cost they dumped fed ex for the no name freight company.
    I called the po-dunk place and find out it would be here for another 10 days, making the time from purchase to receiving over a month. :mad: I call back to cancel the order and was just going to order it from the other guys or the local store.

He offered me a $100 bux to keep the order becuase of the salemans Gregs lies. Reluctantly I accept.

14 days from the day of my order, the tires show up. Luckily for me way ahead of the shipping company’s tracking system which previously said 10 days.

Great huh? End of story? NO
    They sent 5 lug, not 8 lug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :doah: :what:
    Retards. Obviously I was pissed and frustrated. To rub it in they still sent 32 lug nuts though.

I call them back up, and talk to Mark, who is says "Wow, that’s really bad, Don’t worry I will make this right.....I will send you the correct 8 lug rims UPS GROUND FROM COLORADO!" Come on. Also I have to mount and balance them and ship the 5lug old rims back, not a good fix IMO
    So this means another week with no car making is over 20 days with $$$ cabs and borrowing peoples cars. why couldn't he get the rims from the local store? dunno, he couldn't tell me thats.
    It also means I have to take busy time out of MY schedule AND out of someone's with a truck to a mount and balance place and do all that work.
    Some people might think that’s easy, but I am a very very busy person and I don’t know anyone who will take a whole afternoon off to drive me and the tires to get mounted and balance for a couple hours.
    Mark, did say he would reimburse me for the cost or mounting and balancing and shipping the rims. :rolleyes:

I'd like to think Im not a pushover, and I argued with Mark for a while on the phone. He would not offer me overnight shipping, and no compensation. I would have been happy with either one, but no. So that’s why im posting this.
    Will I ever order from them again? Nope.
    Would I if they would have made it right? Probably.
    Was what i think "making it right" unresonable? I dont think so.

Cliff notes:
    bought tires from 4 wheelsparts.com via sales man on the phone. Lies says 5 days shipping and that local store does have them
    Shipping was later rescdeduled to over a month. I call to cancel, supervisior offers $100 to keep the order
    Order shows up and its 5 lug, not 8 lug like i ordered
    Only resolusion that 4wheelparts makes it to ground ship the rims to my so that I can take them on my own with no transportation to be monted and balanced.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude you can search this site for a million post and complaints just like yours about 4 wheelparts. Rule of thumb for me is if I'm making a big dollar purchase, buy local so if they're are any problems you'll be close enought to snatch a knott in someones arse. Even if it cost a little more to buy local. :xmas: Sorry about your deal but when you finally get them, snap a few pics and post'em. That always makes me feel better. :grin:

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I will forward this to the regional manager.

Keith, 4wp Atlanta,GA

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh yeah, I forgot that Keith works at 4wps. He's cool, maybe we need a sticky for everyone to just call him if they want to buy from 4wp.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I gave up on 4wp a long time ago.
    -order arb, they argue the advertised price is for only 30 spline carriers and not 'upgraded' 35 spline.. I call BS because a front D60 is stock 35 spline. :surepal:
    -go to pick it up a week later, it looks like its been dropped in the dirt and repackaged.
    -get ARB #2 sent from orgeon to my doorstep a week later.
    -open it up, its already been opened, missing several parts, somewhat dirty.
    -take this back to 4wp, the manager explains that he'll inventory the parts that are missing and order those seperately to make it complete.
    -I said no. I didn't spend $700+ for some arb locker thats already opened, dirty, missing parts...
    -he finally orders ANOTHER one, that will be there the following week.

Conclusion= 3rd time was a charm ordering from 4wp, i saved probably a whopping $50 by making them price match an ad, but it delayed my buildup 3 weeks waiting for a complete, unopened ARB locker.

fawlkin rediculous.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you can, always buy stuff like this with a credit card. Most credit card companies have some type of buyer protection. If you have those kinds of problems the credit card company will freeze the charge or even reverse it until the order is made right or you can go buy from somewhere else.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I buy from 4wpw, but there are three rules I follow religously...

1) always go to the store in person, no phone/web stuff
    2) never EVER have them work on my rig
    3) only buy stuff they have in stock... if they have to order it, just say "no thanks" and walk out.
    4) b4 I go, I search the entire planet looking for the lowest price I can find on whatever I am buying and have 4wpw match it.

if you follow those, they ain't bad. sad that you need to follow those kinds of rules tho...

j

8. hunter

hunter Registered Member

I guess Im fortunate, I allways buy stuff from 4wps store #39 in houston on gessner dr. the manager Chris is really nice and very knowledgable, hell one time the salesman even balanced my wheels for me so. In fact I just bought some new tires there today, called them monday....asked for price on tires....they werent in stock so they came from dallas next day (tues) and set up appointment for today wed at lunch noon. I showed up at 11.45am, paid for the tires, then left and ate a burger...came back and the tires were ready...I was back at work by 1pm with a big smile on my face. I have probably spent over $10,000 at 4wps and never had a bad experience whatsoever :p:

Another example:

I also bought a set of tires/wheels/lugs from them during March madness and told them I had to have them by friday for a weekend wheelin trip planned, they got me the tires/wheels I needed but when they went to the back they were 2 lug nuts short...the manager sent me 5 lugs overnight and I had them the next day (friday)....again...very pleased with the service. Again, this was at the 4wps on Gessner in Hou.

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I ordered 4 wheels for my blazer...phone order with CC...got them as promised about 5 or so days later. I simply called the 1-800 number. I deff feel your pain though. Sometimes if you keep barking you will get something..posting about your problem on this site with as many peps we have should help a bit.

10. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

After hearing that, forget them.

mike

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the club of Anti 4WPW. I have been buying parts for my 72 sence 1993. EVERYTIME I bought something from them they screwed it up. The LAST time It took them 3 shipments before the correct items arrived (3 years ago)...never again even if it is the best deal on the planet.....

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Rule No. One in dealing witha screwed up order: If you are being told "No" you are talking to someone too low on the totem pole. Ask for their boss. Keep asking for the next guy up until you are told "Yes."

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My one and last experience with them was about a year ago (before I heard all the warnings for them) I had ordered some 33x13.5 LTB's and 4 15x8 whitespoke wheels. I can't remember what the guy's name was but he too was very rude, and very short (I called after I got home from work and he made it clear that he was trying to get home too and to hurry up). After I ordered the stuff with him, he gave me a total that was like $200 higher than it should have been... so I stopped him, told him no, it's $723 or whatever it was after the tires, wheels, and lifetime warranty (to get use of their free shipping offer - which is a JOKE imo), he says "please hold" comes back on and says " No, i'ts $823" and I got nasty with him and siad NO, i've got a calculator in front of me. add with me, $123 per tire times 4 is $492. $38 per wheel times 4 is $152, Your "FREE shipping" but insurance charge is $79. $492+$150+$79 is $723, so either you charge me for that amount or I'll go elsewhere. He puts me on hold for like 10 minutes, and comes back "Ok you're right, $723 and they'll be there in 10 days"

They arrived in 10 days, the order was right, end of story, but I will NEVER do business with them again.

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Man I'm glad this topic came up when it did. I was looking at ordering some parts from that place. No way I'd buy there after reading this.

Saved by the post. :thumb:

15. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

So do you guys not have any good local 4wd shops???

My local shop gets discounts because they are a "dealer" and because they order so much. Mike usualy passes the savings on to his customers so he can sell more, therefore get a bigger discount and make the local wheelers happy. When I got this last set of 44"ers and rims (1750$) he was able to get within 20$ of what any of the big chain stoors say they could do and when they messed up and sent the tires/rims to him unmounted he helped me mount them there on his machine.

If I have to buy a specialty item like a driveline I go to someone reputable like HAD or Woods. If I have to get something like a tire or shocks I support my local guy.

16. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

when I have time I will tell my story of sueing 4wp, it will be in a new thread as its a long story but one all will enjoy, im at work so i dont have time right now. i will try to post the thread in the next day or so. lets just say I won big time. i am not a sue happy person, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do. they deserved it, and they got what they deserved. the owner of the 4wp corperation said, quote: " If you dont like it, you can just take me to court". I said, I will do that. so I will call this thread " sued 4WP story". I need to get my court papers before I post this thread.

17. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from 4WP over the years, and have ALWAYS gone into one of the local stores. I recenlty went into the newer Asuza store, but they had to order from the Compton Warehouse. I instead started going to the Compton Warehouse, which is one of their distribution centers and has pretty much everything in stock, and is opened on Sundays.

I recently spent over $1k on gears, Detroit, 9000x, and new MM hubs, and they were giving me a price of $449 for the Detroit. The OffRoadAdventures magazine put out by 4WP had an add from Drivetrainwarehouse for $383. I got the price match, but they felt kind of dumb.

I will not ever let them work on any of my trucks.

18. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I bought my detroit for the 12 bolt (before I was on 1 tons) from 4wp. When I sheared the bearing journal off of it 16 months later (detroits have a 1 year warranty), Tractech (the people who make detroits) didn't really want to help me out. 4wp gave me my money back no questions asked, even though it was out of warranty.

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If I can order it on the website and it is very simple I do it that way. I get an invoice both on the site (just do a save as) and in email and blah blah blah. If they screw up I just call them up and it gets taken care of. And they have screwed up before. And they've made it right every time.

If it's something more elaborate I call up Keith. I keep calling until I eventually get Keith.

4WPW has issues when it involves something outside of the local stores. If it's something they have to get for you from another store or a warehouse it can get quite scarey. Corporate/the website has nothing to do with the local stores.

Now, 4WPW is a company looking to make money. That means they'll do it however they can. One of the ways they do it is shipping. They'll go with whoever is cheapest. When I ordered my winch it came directly from Lousiana to almost in the middle of Lake Superior. It took like 11 days. It changed carriers like 4 times. It was eventually delivered by our regional ****stain trucking company, UP Special Delivery, even though UPS has a shipping center not even 3 miles away from my house. UP Special Delivery had it sitting on their dock for 4 days, probably because they weren't getting paid much.

20. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Wow, I got lucky... I ended up with a $50 gift certificate for them and went into the local store in Sacramento. They didn't have the Hella H2 headlight conversions in stock but ordered them and told me I could pick them up the next day after 12:00PM. I got there the next day at 11:45 and the guy went out and pulled them off the truck and handed them to me.

Typically I go to Central4WD because they are within walking distance from my house and so far have stocked everything I needed.