Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My experience with Forward Air today.......*UPDATE*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jun 9, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

was very terrible!!! [​IMG]

I had a complete rebuilt 14FF to ship to Blzr86 (Kyle) in North Carolina and had to deliver the crate to Kansas City, MO terminal. That was a 230 mile drive, one way!!!

I called earlier during the week to find out what time they were open up to on Saturday and they said noon. Ok, also told them we were coming up to drop off the crate. Fine.

We left Sat. morning at 7 am and got there around 11 am. But the address and directions from mapquest.com said it was at the MCI hub, which is the KCI, or airport. We got to the airport no problem but couldnt find Forward Air anywhere. We stopped at the airport police dept. to ask for directions and they had to call Forward Air to get the specific directions. Turns out we went 5 miles too far and had to go back the way we came in. They also told the cop they were closing in 5 minutes. So, they knew we were coming and we assumed they were going to wait for us.

We get to Forward Air and go up to the door to find it LOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] I WAS VERY PISSED!!!!!!!!! We had driven 230 miles to drop off a crate that they said they were open until noon and when we got there, the clock in the office said 11:15 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, we checked out other places but no avail. So, back home we came!!! [​IMG]

We get home and call the main headquarters 800 no. and the lady was all apologetic, etc. But she said there was nothing they could do!!! So, a wasted trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, can anybody tell me what I can do (legally) to get them to correct their screw up? Remember, they said they were open til noon, and they were closed when we got there at 11:15. The airport police will confirm this if need be. Any ideas on what to do?

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thatK30guy on 06/13/01 05:18 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: My experience with Forward Air today.......

Damn dude, that is terrible. I don't have any legal advice, I'm just sorry to hear that.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Something like that had happened to me. I called there corp. Headquarters and they said each store sets there hours. Even thou they closed a half hour early for me. I waited tell the next buisness day and called the manager. He was pissed that his asst. Manager had closed early. I got the item I was looking for for 1/2 price. You never now. It might work for you......Dan

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Use Dan's idea. Find a 'higher up' and explain your story, try and remain calm and polite, but explain that you normally do quite a bit of shipping and deal with many others that do as well. Explain that if this is the service that is normal you'll be taking your business elsewhere and you'll also make sure that everyone you know hears the story too...(OK you've already done that part...[​IMG])
    Ask him point blank what he's gonna do about the situation to make it right...
    Also get his email, and or mailing address and put it all in writing, make some copies. Offer to forward a copy or two to the local paper...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Wes,
    Called my brother on this. He is an overpaid lawyer, who spends his money on sports cars instead of trucks. He said, legally, not much to stand on, except a judge in small claims. He said some associates of his would charge about 500 to go to court and represent in small claims. Probably would when given consumer advertising from the business, and given the airport police testimonial. All in all, probably not worth it. His advice was just that if the people don't offer you to ship for free (kind of trying to cover trip costs), then go to a lawyer, have him draft a letter stating intentions to take to small claims, unless willing to arbitrate for compromise. Cost about 50-100, depending on arbitration time and methods. Also, he said becareful about slander in publicaions. Said you could go to Strikland.com, for slander defintion vice just plain old badmouthin. Hope this helps.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

6. thatK30guy

My wife and I talked some more about this. We are planning to call Forward Air back on Monday to talk to a manager of the K.C. terminal and see if he can offer to ship the crate for free IF I have to make another trip there again. You have to figure our time lost on that trip and the gas, oil, tires, etc. for just missing them by "5 minutes"!!!!! That was the worst part, them saying they would wait for us and they were closing at noon instead of just going ahead and closing at 11:15 am and thinking "screw them" about us!!! OHHHHHHHHH, that makes me mad!!! [​IMG]

I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Sorry to hear about you miss fortune. It never cesses to amaze me at how some people run their business. I bet the corprate office would like to hear about them closing early! Many employees like to leave early but you can bank on there time card saying 12:00! When you call them, ask there hours first and when they say 12:00 then you can ask them if its company policy to close early. If they do not make things right, I would report them to the BBB and would make it a point to call them before closing for the next two weeks to see when they really leave, then document it and send my findings to their corprate office along with another letter. It won't make up for the $hit they put you through but if the a-hole that left you high and dry looses his job, so be it.
    <font color=red> Pay Backs are a Mother<font color=black>!!
    Just remember, your a hell of a guy to even drive that far!
    and your wife must be a doll for going with you.
    Good luck Wes.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I think you should have inserted the 14 bolt thru the tiny little mail slot in the glass front door. !!!! [​IMG] Im sure they would have shown back up for that.

New '90 K5 sitting in my driveway !!! YIPPPIEE !!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

B!tch, B!tch, B!tch! Is that all you do anymore -K30-?[​IMG]

Look at it this way, more time in the K30, I know how much you dig 'em.

Twiztid

10. thatK30guy

Well, I will send you a bill to cover my loss of time and gas!!! [​IMG]

We didnt take the K30 to K.C. That would have been outrageous on the gas alone!!! [​IMG] We took the father-in-laws little Ford Ranger truck. Did the whole trip on a tank and half of fuel.

11. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well k30 im here in kc... if you need me to do anything let me know... Since i live only about 15 min. or less from the airport... even if it is just calling and buggin the $hit out of them about it... either way.. let me know..

Prembird

If it aint loud, Then turn it up !!!

12. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

wes
    Its too bad you didnt know prembird lived that close. You could have just dropped the axle off with him and he might have been able to deliver it monday.

13. thatK30guy

Yeah, I never thought of that until we got home and I was thinking to myself, "wonder where prembird and scooter live?" Oh well, maybe next time I take a hard, dry one up my bunghole from FA, I will leave it with one of them guys!!! [​IMG]

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check out the web page, find a "contact" email address, and explain the situation, like suggested, calmly, but completely in an email. Let them know you ship a lot, and that this incident made you think twice about if they really care about customers and their business. My experience has been that regional managers or above get these emails, which is plenty high up in the food chain.

I have no qualms about telling companies when they do something right or wrong, and usually when its something wrong, they rectify it with free goods...$30 gift certificates from auto parts stores, free food, etc. : ) As bad as that may sound, when you are screwed over, they really do owe you I think.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

15. thatK30guy

Well, to make a long story short, we are getting it up the butt DRY with no Vaseline!!! [​IMG]

Anyways, the boss at the K.C. terminal said for us to use Land Air to get the crate back to K.C. Land Air will pick it up at our house and deliver for $71.00. I am going ahead and doing this just so Kyle will get his rear and install it before the end of the month.

The moral of the story: If you live too damn far from a terminal, pay another freighter to pick it up and take it to wherever. In this case, Forward Air only ships from terminal to terminal. Land Air picks up ANYWHERE and delivers anywhere. This is my new method for shipping from now on.

16. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When we ship mine can we schedule ALL of this?

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

17. 2Dogs

And another thing - do you take PayPal?

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

18. thatK30guy

Sorry, no PayPal. [​IMG]

Yeah, I am going to take in consideration Land Air to deliver to Denver Forward Air terminal to get it to you. I will check both places shipping quotes and get back with you. Hopefully next week I will have the overall cost for you to decide if you like it or not.

19. 2Dogs

OK.
    I would like to have it flown to Sacramento Ca. Then transported to Chico.
    You can't get an estimat before next week?

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

20. thatK30guy

Did you give me a full name, address and telephone number? If not, do it by private message and I will try to get something done. I may just load up the bare axle into the truck and go weigh it like that and guess on the crate.