Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My experience with Northwest Metal Products 43 gallon tank, plus a poll!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I ordered a 43 gallon tank (CBR2) for my 76 Blazer from Northwest Metal Products ( http://www.nwmp.com/). The joyous day arrives and the UPS truck pulls up to the house. I am in the garage giggling like a schoolgirl (well, maybe I exaggerate). The driver brings up the tank and sets it on the floor. No box, no shrink wrap, no bubble wrap, just the tank. Right off I'm seeing this big black metal box with major scratches all over it. In fact, it looks like somebody threw it into the gorilla cage during mating season at the zoo. Then he brings up the smaller parts box. I say No box? He says Amazing ain't it? He heads back to the truck to presumably get the manifest for me to sign. The truck fires up and drives away. I'm perplexed, then annoyed, then downright furious as I inspect the tank. One side is pushed a bit in, the paint is thrashed, and low and behold right where three welds meet, a nice big dent that pushed the welds in. Furious turns to words that would make a longshoreman blush. I don't really know that much about Northwest Metal Products, so I'm at a loss as to whom to blame.

First off, not knowing how the company's reaction will be, I call Visa and put the charge in dispute status. Then I call Northwest. I speak to a very nice lady on the phone. I'm polite, but she can hear the anger in my voice I'm sure. She couldn't have been more helpful. She explained that they usually use FedEx and that they rarely have a problem with them. They only use UPS on occasion and that they seem to have lots of returns with UPS. I'm guessing that scene from Ace Ventura Pet Detective in the beginning with Jim wearing a brown delivery uniform wasn't that far off... The nice lady, I forgot her name, says no problem she will do a recall notice on the tank and have UPS pick it up. She also promises to send a new tank via FedEx and says it should be much better. She also tells me that they used to ship in boxes, but that the shipping companies beat the boxes to a pulp. So, if they ship the tank bare, the shipping companies tend to treat it much better and make sure they don't damage it. Makes some sense I suppose.

Today I get the new tank and it is in a box. Either Northwest opted to box it for me special, or FedEx decided to err on the side of caution. Either way, I open the box and it looks great. Paint is good, welds are good, and I could swear the guage of the metal is thicker. So far, so good. The company has done me very well in the service department. No charge for the extra shipping and very customer oriented. The install will be the proof on the quality of the product. Here is the question, Do I call this Part 1 and do a write up and the removal and installation of this tank? Or is this something so simple that any chimp with a hammer and a brew could figure it out? Poll follows:

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: My experience with Northwest Metal Products 43 gallon tank, plus a poll

Aby tech article is a good tech article.... I couldn't find the oil fill when I bought my 78 GMC.......... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'd like a tech article for it. I always wanted to know how but I never found a article on how-to. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree that's it's fairly straight foward that even a water-head could do it, but everyone's gotta learn somehow and the more simple write-ups we have the less clutter in the forums...

5. Desert Rat

I'll break out the digital camera and document the event. I'll be installing the Corp14ff as soon as it gets back from the shop at the same time, along with some ORD shackle reversals and TC springs. I may do the MOO axle truss too.

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

7. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes that would be great for the write up. I would like to see now much clearance there will be and if there are any other issue's involved. Seems to be a stand up company that I would be interested in doing business in.

8. Desert Rat

Oh, and the customer service lady is named Sharon. Called her back and let her know that I was pleased with the way they handled it. I also told her that I posted here about their product and if the install went well, then maybe their company would see a few Blazer folks dropping them a dime.

9. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

If you want to ship something and have it arrive in one peice, <font color="red"> NEVER, NEVER, NEVER </font> use UPS. My dad worked for them for 31 years and retired early in disgust over the "new" management they put in place after thier driver's big strike back in 99 (I think). He swore that they encouraged the material handlers to damage as much property as possible. See UPS is it's own insurer and unless you want to pay a fortune and insure something for a specific dollar amount, they only pay out something stupid like $10 per 50 lbs of frieght and laugh at thier customers all the way to the bank.

10. Resurrection_Joe

UPS lost a 70 pounds set of tube doors that weren't even in a package.

"What do they look like sir?"

"THEY ARE A GIANT HUNK OF PRIMERED STEEL YOU INEPT BORDER JUMPING INSTRUCTION READING NON ENGLISH SPEAKING YAHOO PIECE OF CRAP!"

Bastards!

Better not loose the pants I ordered

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    UPS lost a 70 pounds set of tube doors that weren't even in a package.

"What do they look like sir?"

"THEY ARE A GIANT HUNK OF PRIMERED STEEL YOU INEPT BORDER JUMPING INSTRUCTION READING NON ENGLISH SPEAKING YAHOO PIECE OF CRAP!"

Bastards!

Better not loose the pants I ordered

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw yes, the memories, I remember those doors...

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I installed the NWMP 43 gal tank in my '87. It was worth the work. The key is to take your time. How I did it:
    1. I repainted the tank and straps with epoxy paint.
    2. Added hose length so the tank can be on the ground and still hooked up.
    2a. Don't cut off GM braided hose ends. Get donor mates and connect new rubber hoses to these. Old tank can be reinstalled if needed.
    3. Use chunk of plywood on floor jack to get it in place (you will do this several times) Ratchet straps also help a lot getting it into final position.
    4. Upgraded ground wire to #14 fine stranded and 1/4-20 stud on frame.
    5. Top cover: didn't use the sheet metal screws. Tapped to #6-32 and used stainless machine screws with thread sealer
    6. Verify calibration of fuel gauge sender before installing tank.
    7. Use external fuel pump (I used Mallory 4060FI with my TBI engine)
    8. Seal drain plug with Neverseize
    9. Should have used stainless allthread rod on tank straps (front)
    10. Watch for metal to metal contact with frame. I added a piece of heavy plastic on right side.
    11. lube filler neck hose w/silicone grease so it will slide on. Not much space to get your hand in there and push.

The Mallory 4060FI is a good pump but over time the brushes wear out and the roller bearing seizes up from moisture getting in. This is still better than having the pump inside the tank.

Another small problem is that many gas stations kill the transaction at $50 when using pay at pump. You need to do 2 transactions to fill up.

13. Desert Rat

Excellent, thanks. I also plan on fabricating up a skidplate at some point as well. How did you go about calibrating the fuel guage? Did you put 5 gallons and see where the needle was or something a bit more precise?

14. Resurrection_Joe

Hey Kyle, be safe in the knowledge when I finally do get around to getting your doors off to you, they will be much better quality.... and in a Fed Ex box

15. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

To calibrate the sender I used a DVM (digital voltmeter) in the ohms mode. Just look and see where the float is at 0 and 90 ohms and verify that it is working. You can bend the arm if you want empty to be "really" empty.

You can also make a note of the exact ohms at max and min. Then add measured amount of gas and know the ohms at a certain number of gallons.

With this info you can fabricate a small calibrator for a digital gauge (like a Cyberdyne) by switching in and out known resistances to check the gauge (gauge disconnected from tank).

I should have left a stock fuel pump (or 2!)in the tank for use as a back up to the Mallory pump. Adding another port to the top plate would have been really easy.

The Mallory pump will fail from brush wear. Having a spare pump in the tank with a selector valve would have been good. Hammer tap to Mallory will usually get you home with the worn brushes.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

NWMP is funny like that.....

I'm not sure why, but you have to KNOW to ask for special packaging (I paid an extra $10 - $15 for a cardboard outer wrapping) so that their product wasn't all beat to hell when it arrives.

If it were my company, EVERY tank would be shipped out with a bubblewrapped and cardboard protected package. Failing to do so just makes people feel like the product is low-quality, and after spending $400 dollars that's not the "first impression" they should be making.

Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He swore that they encouraged the material handlers to damage as much property as possible

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifYou are obviously full of poo. I must have never got that memo.

18. Desert Rat

[ QUOTE ]
    You are obviously full of poo

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY!!, This is a family place for cryin' out loud. A little forum decorum!! (I'm a poet, and I didn't know it) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

19. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You are obviously full of poo

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY!!, This is a family place for cryin' out loud. A little forum decorum!! (I'm a poet, and I didn't know it) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Desert Rat

Ok, finally got around to installing the tank. I had to to do the ORD shackle flip and some other projects first. I will put the pics as I go here ( http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant ) and will write up a tech article when it is all done.