Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My farkin detroit spool POS thing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Sep 2, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

over 500 miles easily, and the damn thing still doesn't unlock around corners. I'm feathering out my nice new MTR's! Gimme some insight here! Is it possible to install a detroit backwards or is it a faulty POS locker!?? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Dumb question, but did you remember to pull the bolt holding the detroit together before you put the carrier back in the housing? I remember someone here locally doing that, and his never unlocked. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You should be able to put it on jackstands and check it out. Spin one tire forward, and then quickly spin it back. It should unlock and freewheel, as per the instructions.

BIGJ

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah we took the long bolt out of there....I remember when we were going back together with it that it didn't pop apart one little bit when that bolt was removed. It seems like the first one popped apart a fraction of an inch. Anyways....I'll try the tire method tonight and see what's up.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my buddy has a lockright that never unlocks, thats why I'm worried about traction aids in my 14 bolt when I install it, I don't want to ruin a set of 37 MT/Rs in a week.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine put a new Detroit in his 87 K30... never unlocked either. Until he put some weight in the back.

Another friend of mine scavenged an old Detroit "No-Spin" from a '62 C20 for his Eaton full-floater. It unlocks just fine when running empty.

Maybe they take a while to break-in? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Contact the tech folks at www.tractech.com They're pretty helpful with stuff like this. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I highly doubt a Detroit is a POS locker.

Have you tried spinning the tires in the dirt or something?

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Read the instructions on how to test if it is working correctly..Jack up the rear end and with the truck in park, both you and a buddy rotate the tires forward...then with him holding constant pressure forward, you should be able to spin you tire backwards and hear the racheting sound from the locker...when you stop the tire and spin it forward agin, it should lock up...repeat this for BOTH side and in BOTH directions (L&R test for rearward freewheeling, and l&R test for forward freewheeling) hold the tire that is not being tested in the OPPOSITE direction as the one you are testing...

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Did you take all of the thrust washers out of the case when you removed the spider and side gears to install the DL? In particular, the ones that are in the sides of the case where the side gears seat (axle shafts go through them).

10. HarryH3

Yep! That will keep it from ever unlocking for sure! (It would also explain why the side drivers didn't pop out when the center bolt was removed!) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Sometimes it really does help to RTFM... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. HarryH3

Hmm, was this another of your 3 a.m., half asleep, driveway installations? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ummmm yes it was. and we are looking in to that possibility as we speak. Dang it, but good it.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

They stick in there with the gear oil, and they would be really easy to miss.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    They stick in there with the gear oil, and they would be really easy to miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do camoflage themselves nicely in there. I only noticed them when I had my carrier in the parts washer and one fell out. I guess the solvent removed the gear lube holding the washer in place...

Rene