Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My final set of ford 57" questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Jul 12, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My final set of ford 57\" questions

Okay I am in great need of getting my drivelines made but I need to quit changing my mind,LOL. I'v never driven this thing and have only had the body on for a month or so and I have changed the spring set up on it atleast 5 times.

so now I want to turn the rear springs around. and for these reasons:
    1) longer wheel base. (after moving the tranny and engine back, I need to get that space back,LOL)
    2)departure angle
    3)help with anti wrap

I'm just seeing who has done it and have you had any problems with the gas tank???
    and how far back does it actually move the axle?
    and would you flip the overloads or leave them the way ford had em?

BTW this thing will not be a road racer by any means.

also what is a good angle for the shackle on the 57's to make sure I get full use of em. On the rear I have the summit "lowrider" shackle. which I think is 6.5"?

-Jeremy
    PS I"m so ready to get this thing shafted!!!

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: My final set of ford 57\" questions

Now your talking! Reversing the 57's give you 6" of additional wheelbase. Flipping the overloads gives you more flex and a softer ride, but the overload tends to reach down and pick up debris sometimes. Now your shackle angle with a 6.5" shackle should be no more than 45 degrees ( / ) and this will fully cycle a 57" main leaf without bending it. Got pics?

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree on 1 and 2, but for 3, your barking up the wrong tree. I've got mine reversed and wrap is MUCH worse with them turned backwards. My springs lasted about 6 trips before being close to unusable, badly bent and collapsed...

You'll also cause the pinion angle to change drastially with axle movement due to the axle being located on the back of the arc. Axle goes down, pinion points more the the ground. Axle goes up, pinion rotates up. This is backwards of what you want and can quickly bind the shaft when the axle drops.

On the angle, about 20-30* back seems good to me, but I have not tried lots of options or worked out mathematically what the best would be with reversed 57s...

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Cool, thanks Mike. and yeah I got pics. still on the roll though. I would get a digi cam but all my money goes into my projects,LMAO!!!!!

-Jeremy

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thats for the heads up. I'm making a anti wrap bar to help it out. probably need one up front too....

-Jeremy

once the roll of film is finished I'll post em up.