Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My first 4x4 (and pics...if they work)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustBuket, Aug 13, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I bought a blazer (first 4x4)about a week ago and I finally brought it home a couple days ago. Yesterday I took it wheeling to this little place we have around here that isn't that big of a deal(totally stock) but it really impressed me and my friend once we got it in 4-lo. We went out twice and ripped off one side of the exhaust per trip. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So, after the first trip, I cut the ends off a couple pop cans and slipped it over the broken peice and hose clamped it in place. Worked good till we ripped the other side off! I think that when I get a new exhaust put on, I'll have them to a full length just because I think it would be protected more than a side dump muffler. Tell me what you think of my cancerous truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thx

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

what did I do wrong?

3. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Oh boy that is one work of art with the rust /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Not a bad starter rig though. We all started somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you copy and paste the links into another browser window you can see them. It happens to me once in awhile too.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You got an 'extra' space between "jpg" and the last image tag on all three...

Should be a fun project, what are your plans?/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Rene

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

As for plans.... Well the VERY freshly rebuilt 305 (done by myself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) is being swapped in this week starting thursday. I also plan to put a shackle flip and a 4" lift up front. I am hoping to get some 35" BFG because I've heard they are great all around tires. Any commments? May start looking for something to replace the 10 bolt rear. I would pick up a 14b FF but would I have to change wheels as well?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, that's why having an idea of how you want to use the truck is so important. If you plan on wheeling it but aren't going to use a tire over 35" the 10 bolts could probably do OK. The front will do fine almost for sure unless you have an 83 lb right foot/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The rear is a pile of crap though...even on 31's they seem to grenade easy.

If you choose to lose the 10 bolt rear the next diff that is a true upgrade is the SF 14 bolt. These mostly come in an 8 lug pattern though. The front 10 bolt probably won't have the same gearing as any donor 14 bolt so it's usually the most cost efficient to find a matching set of 3/4 ton diffs and swap front and rear.

You'll then need 8 lug rims. In stock form these are mainly 16" or 16.5", but the aftermarket has 15" rims with the 8 hole pattern also.

My buddy runs the SF14 rear and 8 hole 10 bolt front on 36" TSL's (4.10 gears) and it's a nice combo.

His truck had seen very limited off road use on 31's and the 10 bolt rear was fragged a week or two after he bought it./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm thinking if I keep climbing the stuff I am, the rear 10 bolt will let go. Maybe I'll get some action pics sometime!

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

not a bad first truck at all.. looks better than my first ride did..

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

not a bad truck. mine are by far worse then that. but one word of advice..check out your floors! peel up the carpet..ull be surprised at what you fine..hopefully it wont be to bad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips! Any more comments?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> First order of business - lose the running boards and mudflaps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

12. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Definately, rip the running boards and flaps right off of it! Also, did you already build the 305 that your gonna put in it... or have you yet to start that. Personally... I wouldn't rebuild a 305.

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> First order of business - lose the running boards and mudflaps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, That was the first thing I thought of. lol Second thing was that you need to set up a date the sawz-all to loose some of that rust. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think when I get the lift, the running boards are coming off. I rebuilt a 305 because I got it super cheap. I know its not all powerful but I think the little bit extra gas mileage will help me as a high school student. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I don't know if I want to try and fix the rust or if I just want to cut it off? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif