Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My first apartment....advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5er4Life, May 3, 2007.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

well after living off of dad for far too long it was more than time enough to get out on my own and pay my own way. Being this is my first apartment what are some things I need to know? Any surprises? What are my rights as a renter? I know they cant enter without my permission, but sometimes Ive heard shady things in apartments before. Anyone somewhat familiar with cali laws regarding rentals? I have a 6 month lease and we (my roomate and I) read the lease carefully so I dont think there should be any surprises there. We have been really lucky with getting alot of free stuff from parents and friends. I picked up a really nice solid oak entertainment center for free I found on craigslist, got a bbq from my buddy, some dishware from mom, coffee table from the complex managers (they are really nice ladys), and a nice vanity mirror for the bathroom. Food is limited right now until we get our kicthen in order but we have the essentials, 30 pack of bud light and cold pizza. I think I will continue to search for free and cheap stuff on the internet, hey if anyone has anything in socal area they want to sell cheap or get rid of let me know. Beggers cant be choosers. :D
    So far I really love the place, its really well taken care of, great landscaping, new appliances with dishwasher. :saweet: Im in huntington beach about 3/4 mile away from the ocean. Everyone is really friendly in the complex. We searched a TON of different apartments until we found the one we liked. Well thats all, just wanted some input and know what our rights we do and dont have. It sure is liberating having a place to call your own, I love it!

2. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Congrats, having your own place is a great feeling. You will love it when you have your own house.

I don't really have any advice, just have fun.:D

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'd walk through and take pictures or video of everything so that you can prove any existing damage when it comes time to move out and get your deposit back.

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I did remember to take pictrues of all the rooms. But really everything is like new inside, new carpet, paint, dishwasher, fridge, stove. Its real nice for an apartment.

And I cant wait to have a house, but with the way the housing market is in socal I will probably have to buy in a condo or town home as my first purchase.

5. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Advice

Congrads on your first apt. Enjoy it. The only advice I could give you is to look into some apt insurance, it really helped me out once. Back in 1999 I got flooded out of a basement apt and the insurance paid for everything I lost ( take pictures of everything you care about). The insurance was very low and with the same company as my auto. It covered fire, theft and natural damage. Good luck!

6. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My advice..................get a beerpong table.

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Don't forget the stripper pole.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

And binoculars 8X35 :D !

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just pay your rent on time, and keep relatively quiet, and you should be just fine! Loud parties / people in and out all the time, or loud music will get you on the black list real quick.

Oh, and if you discover any water leaks, report them right away! If your landlord pays for your water, and you've got a leak, it can cost thousands before they figure out where it is coming from, which will be recovered through a rental increase for everyone...

Oh, and don't put crap down the sink, use the trap! Nothing more annoying than spending the afternoon running a snake down the sink cause someone thought that rice will go straight down :doah:

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

beaterk20, that you??

BWAHAHAHAHA

good luck! in florida i think there's a 72 hour required advance notice for entry... they only pulled that 72 hour stuff once at my house when i rented, after they saw the guns laid out on the bed they gave us 2 weeks lol

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

NO ROOMMATES! they suck, thats my advice. if your going to be your own man do it on your own, and get renters insurence.

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Well fortunately my roomate is a really good guy. I have known him for about 12 years. He works nights and I work days so during the week it seems I barely see him anyways. And besides the lower cost of rent is a really nice plus.

So they can evict you for any reason? Or do they have to have a decent reason. Not that I plan on doing anything crazy I just cant imagine landlords seeing some guns and then giving you the boot.

I certainly am going to look into renters insurance, right now I really dont have enough to worry too much all I have is a bed and some small pieces of furniture. I will not move my dirt bike over until I get insurance. All it will take is one shady person and my bikes gone.

All I know its cinco de mayo saturday, time for a little barbeque and some beer with friends. Its a very quite and friendly community but during the night on weekends theres always people outside drinkin and having fun. Its perfect for us right now, a little party place thats quite during the week.

13. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Word. I've seen and heard about too many friends turning on each other.:o

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Oh by the way, we really got our priorities in line. (please note some sarcasm here) but we went grocery shopping yesterday and once all tallied we figured we bought almost 200 dollars in alcohol. :eek1: Atleast our bar will be full, have to make sure theres plenty of mixed drinks available for the ladys. :D Also theres a pretty popular bar right across the street, so no worries anymore of going out and trying to find a way home. Well...maybe I still will have trouble finding home in a haze but atleast I only have to walk across the street. :haha:

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Renters insurance should be a priority.

In addition to personal asset coverage, renters insurance is also a liability policy. The liability on my renter's insurance is over $100k.

16. Confedneck79K30

cant evict you for having guns, unless it's in your contract...

read the contract, get a real estate attorney if you dont feel comfortable...

i like to think people are generally good, so i flip, scan and sign lol..

200 bucks in alkyhawl? that's entirely too much, isn't it? lol
    16 bucks gets me a bottle of bacardi 8 and a 2 liter of coke and the bacardi lasts me a month... a lot longer than the night it used to when i was in HS... :X

good luck!

17. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

no advice here either. good luck. confedneck...nice pic. lmao that rules

18. Confedneck79K30

stole it from someone else then used my mad chop skillZ

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

dont move into a house then back to an appartment it sucks.

When I lived at the house I was renting in Eburg it was awesome crank the stereo any time of day, garage and such. Downfall was bills

My appartment is WAY cheaper, and its 6 blocks to work instead of 11 miles. But still, the fact I cant just crank the stereo whenever and my Blazer has to sit outside all the time kinda sucks...ESPECIALLY in the winter

20. Confedneck79K30

truck can't be cold? lol