Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my first bit of "cage building" pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Jul 26, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

so I did my first bit of cage building on a buds zuk. its just to protect the back area and later we are going to do the driver/passenger area too, but for now he just wanted some protection for the kids in the back just in case. we are doing a 5.5 cal-mini lift and swapping the gears in the transfer case to give it a better crawl ratio. will also will be putting some 31 10.50 15 Interco truxxus mt's on black street lock wheels, there imitation bead locks but they still look good. atleast the lip is extra strong from the rolled edge.

he just wants something to run the trails in. I could not talk him into a k5..........yet :D, aside from the bumper I bent up and posted that I have never finished, this is the only other tube bending I have done. I think it looks decent. I wouls like to have added some latteral cross bars and some more gusseting but you just eat up the back seat area in one of these if you do that, and my bud said if we need it we will later, for now its good enough. its 1 3/4 .120 HREW tube, all weld seams are on the inside of the bends like there supposed to be too. we did not use 1 1/2 like most guys do in a zuk cause I dont have a 1 1/2 die so 1 3/4 it was. it does not look overkill either.

in the 2nd pic the right side still allows access to the gas filler neck under the cover, I can just get the cover off still under the tubing. arced the top tubes for some extra head room.

Dscn1349.JPG

Dscn1350.JPG

Dscn1351.JPG

Dscn1352.JPG

Dscn1355.JPG

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure I may have said it before, but if I ever win the lottery, I'm going to hire you as my own personal machinist/welder/fabricator.

Your work as always, looks fantastic. Now that you have had some practice with cages, you gonna build one for your k5?

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Forget building your own how about building one for me? I think it looks great and I would still love to see you finish your bumper.

4. rdn2blazer

thanks ryan, I appreciate the kind sentiment, yes my k5 will have a cage in it for sure. it will be almost a.....dare I say truggy style cage. there will be alot of tube into it.

5. rdn2blazer

its sad, I NEED to finish that damn thing, it sure it in the way in my garage. going to put it on my 89' burb.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I posted some pics of a K5 cage Total Chaos did for a friend. Might be worth looking at for ideas.

7. rdn2blazer

I searched for "total chaos" and did'nt find the link, do you have a link to those pics? I will take ideas from where ever I can, thanks.

8. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

That's got to be a great feeling...good job :waytogo:

9. AJs72K5

AJs72K5 blub-blub-blub-blub Premium Member

Holy 9-year-old-thread Batman!

10. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

WTF? I'm thinkin you did not do something new:dunno: I am so confused:confused:

11. 83ChevyK5Blazer

83ChevyK5Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

this thread was linked from the other one were the zuk got rolled.