Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My First Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by littonk5, Dec 7, 2000.

1. littonk5

littonk5 Registered Member

First, i want to thank all of you for a super forum. Your posts went a long way in helping me make the decision between a Bronco or a Blazer. In fact, I lurked around this this forum and a Bronco forum for about a month before I decided to actively pursue a used Blazer. FYI, in the Bronco forum most of the poster agreed the Blazer was an overall better vehicle.

I found a one owner '87 K5 in Phoenix that had 185,000 miles, was well maintained, really runs strong and still looks good. It is a "plane jane" with virtually no options at all except posi. My first surprise was the fuel economy....I picked it up with 1/2 tank of gas and expected to have to fill it up at least once before I got to tucson:). Much to my surprise, it only used 1/4 of a tank (6-7 gals?) to go the 125 miles. This at 75 mph with the 32 X 11.5 tires. My second surprise was that I thought I was going 70 but my wife (who was following) said it was a nice even 75.

When I got it back here I have been gettign everything check out and it looks like I might have a tranny problem. It seem that there was a small amount of black sediment in the bottom of the pan, not chunks just sorta muddy. Changed oil and will wait to see if the thing begais to slip.

Now to find some sand or maybe a hill.

2. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the K5, there's nothing like 'em in the world, at least in my eyes! Have fun with it.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

If that's the original tranny, it may be time for a rebuild. Check for a post that ran a couple of weeks ago. I think the average is about 100,000 mi. I got 180,000. And am glad it ran that well for that long. A little sediment may not be a bad thing, but start saving money ... you'll want to do a lot of things to your truck, if you keep reading this board. Addicting to say the least.

Recommend experimenting with the search feature above ... can find lots of great stuff.

Good luck!

4. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

My dad has 250,000 miles on his 89 chevy with a turbo 400 tranny never had nothing done to it. Still going strong. (Knock on Wood)

Scott
    78blazer

5. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

WOW! the Fordies admitted that the Blazer was a better vehicle? They must not have known a chevy person was listening, because ive never gotten a ford owner to admit that to me in person. Of course when im arguing, i'll swear up and down that my wheezed stock k5 can take on any ford, lifted locked or whatever. [​IMG]

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

welcome. sounds like you found a nice blazer that has not been abused. as 4 the tranny a small amount of (sluge)in the tranny pan is normal

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome!!!!!!!!
    I used to be a ford driver and have owned many. Had a very nice 85 Bronco it was and still is a very good truck. BUT I like my 89 K5 a lot better. Its just a better rig overall. Most of my firends agree

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the greatest place for Blazer owners. You made the right decision and you won't be disappointed I can assure you that. [​IMG]

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

10. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

man if you dont want to spend a lot of money I would get away form this forum asap becaus once you start hearing about all the great stuff these guy and a few gals are doing to there blazer it starts to give you wild iders. I mean gees how every hered of a duce and a hafe blazer

when I came here I just wanted to know how to fix stuff but now I want huge tires the bigest axles I can fit under her and the bigest big block I can find

CK5 is one drug that you cant get out of your blood (but how would want to)

you will love this place

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

11. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

EVERYONE KNOWS A K5 BLAZER IS BETTER THAN ANY F*RD OR J**P!!!!

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter