Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My first duty station...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlazerGuy, Jan 23, 2005.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'll be stationed with 2/7 at 29 Palms(:mad: ), and we go to the sandbox in July. Any body here ever been to 29 Palms? How far is it from Vegas?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've been to 29 Palms a few times. Just hope you don't have to live at Camp Wilson. Other than being able to buy beer, the housing is better here at Bagram Air Field in Afganistan than it is at Camp Wilson. What's your mos? I'm "skid avi", so called because I'm an avionics-man on Heuys and Cobras. In the past we have done a CAX at 29 Palms at least once a year.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm a Mortarman(0341) but I don't know if I'll be in Weapons Co or a Line Company...

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

hey, when i trained in 29 palms (5/11) out of pendleton, i loved getting a break at camp wilson. that is the one out in the field with the trailer full of phones and a snack bar/ game area?

we would stay out sometimes 90 days, no more because then you had to get paid more. hot, watch out for snakes and scorpions.

i would have hated to be staioned there though.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

your about a couple of hours from vegas.

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Was stationed out there for 3 1/2 years. Your about 2 1/2 hours from vegas as long as you go the back way. It will suck out there at first but you will grow to like it. Clubs out there suck. 2/7 is a great unit. You will get to spend alot of time in the sandbox. Word of advice, stay away from the students at the Comm chool. Nothing but trouble. Any questions just ask.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Haven't been there since 78(?) when 7th Engineers redid the runways. I have wanted to go back and check it out, used to be some great 4 wheelin out there.Hope you like cold nights and hot days-we used to go on duty at 4am and get off at noon cause it was just too da@@ hot working on that runway.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Been there a couple times; I did a MCCRES at Sand Hill, and a CAX. If you happen to pass by the airfield, look at the hangar & see if "FSB" is still painted on it. However, I don't know anything about why it would be there. Nothing at all.............. :D :D :D :D :D

Brief, slightly off-topic story about the Stumps:
    During our MCCRES at Sand Hill, our aircraft tug wouldn't pull the birds through the sand parking area to get to the AM2 mats for flights. So we used our duty driver's HMMWV to move 'em. Now keep in mind that a fueled CH-53E weighs 50,000lbs, give or take a couple hundred. How did we do this? 1st gear, low-range, and 20 people in the back to push the tires into the sand. It was slow, but it worked!