Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My first E-Bay scammer... wootah!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Jun 16, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Here's the question I got about the Blazer... the way I see it, I can only stand to gain in this transaction...

Now, I just received a scam and "outside e-bay" warning from E-bay... how fast are they?? I didn't even report the guy yet. I love this stuff. I think I'll pull a P-p-p-powerbook on this guy... what do you guys think?

The scenario...

I get obvious scam mail about my truck... I reply with my @yahoo.com e-mail address for spam control and give the guy some bogus info... I go to Toys-R-Us and buy a 1980 Blazer Matchbox car, and after I get the bogus cashier's check, I ship the "truck" to this guy with the value listed on the package at $2000.00. I don't know what kind of postal laws they have in Africa, but if it's anything like the UK, this guy will have to pay about $300 just to get the package. What would you do?

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

sometimes they are looking for your pass word that is the scam -- just look out :D

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd hit it, but make it as un-traceable to you as possible.
    Kinda hard to have him expect a full size vehicle, though, that takes too much effort to ship and would throw a red flag to him if he had to go to the local postal office to pick it up instead of some kind of vehicle transfer depot or shipping yard.
    Maybe you could strike a deal with him to lead him on. Maybe tell him you'll send back his extra cash with the "Paperwork" to the blazer, and send him a drawing of it with monopoly money... "I'll send it back to you in a brown envelope with an american cash amount. The cash will be wrapped in aluminum foil in the envelope, and a title of the blazer will also be in the envelope." :rotfl:

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

From someone else's idea here, I just replied with this...

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

I don't get it. They sent you a cashiers check? And you actualy got money from it? If that's the case.... where's the scam? They sent you money....

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Its a bogus cashiers check. You cash it, send them the truck and the extra money, and by the time the bank realizes it, its to late. They then take the money out of your account, leaving you with a 12' steel rod shoved up your ass, and the scammer gets real $$$$$ (your money) and possibly even a truck.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

In this kind of scam, the ol' "send-me-back-the-difference", where the check is made out for MORE than the purchase price, the check is always stolen. You cash it, keep your share, send back the "difference", and 3 weeks later the cops are knocking on your door and you're out the TOTAL amount of the check.......

8. google

google 1/2 ton status

Ahh, I get it now. The horrible english in the quote confused me. Makes perfect sense now.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got one simmilar on something I posted on craigslist . They said almost the same thing and then that they would send a shipping company to pickup the item after all the money moved .

So I wrote back , if someone can come pick it up , someone can bring me cash :D

10. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

My cosin was taken by one of the ****ers. Would like to rip his heart out and watch him die......... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mike

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Somebody tried to do this to me when I was selling one of my dad's pickups online, it's a lot more common than most people think.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got several of them last time I listed a car. I sent them an address for to send the check (office PO box) but never got a check. I even sent one a reply informing him that I never got the check, but got no response. I would love to see what the check looks like.

I was going to put the "check" in a seperate account (you can get a free account from almost any bank) and wait to see what happened. I had no intention of wiring any money. Like I said, I never got a check.