Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My first K5.. need some help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Para Monkey, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Para Monkey

Para Monkey Registered Member

I just bought my first K5 - an 84 4x4 with a 305 in it. I'm seeking some advice from anyone that has knowledge about what i'm going to ramble on about.. :)

First off, I'm looking to get dual exhaust because I know the exhaust it has now is cramming down on any performance I might be able to get out of the 305.. Are there any dual exhaust systems available for an 84 blazer? If so, where?

I'm also going to buy a 454 engine for $300, and it's out of a '76 or so truck. It runs fine and I'm getting a deal because it's a family member - but would this be a wise choice to throw into a blazer?

I'm also looking for the best lift and tire size for the use of my K5. I'm going to use it mostly on the streets... but when I feel the need for offroading I want the clearance to be there. In your opinion, what size lies on the line of best street handling and best off road handling?

And the last thing i'm going to seek advice on for now is the rust I need to take care of. The drivers side rear panel has many large holes in it, and it's rusting from the wheel well pretty bad. Should I just grind it out and weld new metal in, or is there a better way to go about this?

I know I'm going to come off as a newbie, but that's because I basically am when it comes to this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

If you can afford the gas a 454 is a good thing.
    As for the exaust, Im not sure about, my 75 runs with dual 3" from the headers, Im not sure how you could do an 84 and still be legal.
    But the rest of the stuff you mention totaly depends what kind of wheeling you want to do.(if at all)

And Welcome abord CK5!!!

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A stock 454 should be fine in your blazer. I just wouldn't try and play hot rod with it, because that motor could destroy your drive train if driven improperly. Dual exhaust would technically be illegal on your Blazer, but if your area doesn't have emmisions or hard visual inspections then you can probably get away with it. I do. I have gotten away with it in an emmsions area so far. Lift, tires, etc depends on the type of wheelin you do. By the way fill out your profile.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

first off fill out your profile so we all know what we are dealing with when we reply.
    IMHO, go out for a moderate 'wheeling adventure first and formost. that will give you a feel for what you want to do/try. I made the mistake of lifting it first and screwing it all up after the thieves at 4WPW got ahold of me. Once you know what you want to do, read up in as many rigs &amp; reports on instals as you can so that you can get a feel for what will go into it. Then make a decision, the poular set up right now (at least how it seems to me) 6" lift or so with a shackle flip and 1 ton running gear. It is easy and inexpensive (again relative to a f*rd/d0dge/Heep build) and hard to argue with in trems of reliability/function/form.
    plus one tun gear is sick. sorry of the short novel...i like to tipe even though i cant speel[​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a 2-3" lift and 33's for the kind of driving you plan to do. As for the negine swap, its gonna be hard to make that legal. Usually, thye want you to put in an engien from your year or newer...so 84 or newer...I'm sure you can probably get away with putting that 76 454 in there though. Good luck

90K5

6. Para Monkey

Para Monkey Registered Member

You all have been great help so far, thank you..

I'm rethinking the 454 idea - I really don't want my blazer to guzzle gas at insane rates - so i'm thinking about a 350 (but the 454 i'm still going to get just to have laying around for a street car :).

I also found Hummer surplus tires on the net, which are 36 inchers, and I like them a lot (particularily because of the price). So would a 4 inch suspension and a 2 inch body lift give me minimal fender trimming?

But aside from that, i'm still seeking some advice for the body work. I hate the look of rust spots on a bright red truck, so I need to fix that asap. Are there any websites with people walking through their own body restorations that I can check up on?

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Para,

I'll jump in with some of the others.....fill out the rest of the profile when you can. The reason is that if you want to do an engine swap and you live in, say California.....you are in for a real hassle. Other states may be more lenient, and so a swap to a 454 can be a much more fun and rewarding project.

Most of what drove my purchase of a '72 K5 was the desire to keep the State of California out of my business.....! [​IMG] It's smog-exempt, and has a totally different engine than stock but I never have to worry about stuff like catalytic converters, smog pumps, O2 sensors, etc. It's very nice.....

As far as lifts go......the current style seems to be to use as little lift as possible and get clearance for bigger tires by cutting sheetmetal. I think it should be reasonably easy to get those Hummer tires (36 inch?) on your with a 4" lift and a bit of careful trimming. Check out the "Members Rides" section.....there's about 100 examples of K5's in there.....it's a good way to start seeing what's possible.

Welcome to the party!

-Greg72