Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My first long distance towing trip...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Apr 30, 2005.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

So i towed the LUV home whith the K-5 this weekend. It was sweet, i could tell the K-5 was protesting a little bit (208 gears 305 and a 700r4 makes for a great tow rig! :grin: ) but it towed the LUV whithout a problem. Well then day 2 of the towing weekend comes along and i drive up to mountainexplorers place to rescue the ford. We get the F-150 winched onto the trailer and hit the first problem. The straps arent designed for 33" swampers, so we air the tires all the way down and then i was able to strap it down. Now i have said 305 700r4 whith 308s K-5 pulling probly around 6,000lbs. Awsome. The truck had no problem pulling it (it just acted like it whanted to pull torque wheelies :cool1: ) so i was on my way. Stops fine steers fine all is well, untill im going down hill and trying turn. Now i dont know what protocal on something like that is but i was able to keep it all in my lane so i think i did well. But the trailer started pushing the rear end around so the k-5 started swerving back and forth. What i did is at fist think of hitting the brakes but thought that would probly kill me, so i let of the pedal and held the wheel as straight as i could and when that didnt do it i eased into the gas and powered out of it. Is that kinda what your suposed to do? Well at any rate the K-5 impressed me in the past 2 days and i dont think ill ever tow another full sized truck whith a k-5 :blush:
    And on a side note i stopped after all the big hills to check on the tranny fluid and it NEVER go too hot to handle. I was able to hanld the ATF more than my upper radiator hose, so using this my tranny should be running perty cool right?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL, a blazer is a terrible tow rig.....but it is fun. I've pulled a lot of junk with my K5, especially after my 3/4 ton swap. If you thought your stock truck was bad, try pulling with it 10" in the air and on really wide 35x16" boggers. :D I also hauled an F150 one time that probably grossed around 7K including the trailer. It pulled great, even with my tires and heigth. I've got plenty of power though. :p: :grin: I've hauled farm equipment, pulled disks, large field mowers, and hauled lots of semi truck parts on trailers with my K5. The most weight I think I ever pulled was about 8-9K, slightly heavy. I even pulled a gooseneck once. :D

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yeah im going to swap in some 4.10s when the LUVs V-8 swap is about done so i can tow it to the track :cool1: But for just 308s in it now it impressed me (granted i have only ever owned mini trucks so its not hard to impress this guy :blush: )

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I agree with rjfguitar, a K5 is a poor tow rig because of it's short wheel base.
    as for
    I've found that when things start to get a little squirrly, I use the in cab trailer brake control to slow it down. If it's only slight, I will add some power to pull it straight. If you don't have electric brakes on your trailer, you shouldn't pull anything heavy.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how exactly does one pull that off? expecially with a lifted truck.

6. rjfguitar

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :tongue1:

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well this towing weekend was a one off deal for a few reasons...
    1 308s
    2 700r4
    3 weenie wheelbase
    4 i had some junk that had to get home
    And i would have used the trailer brakes but i dont have any. This was U-haul car trailer (quiet i only ever towed a 2wd 80 LUV :blush: ) so it had inertia brakes i think, but they sucked and didnt do a thing.

8. rjfguitar

They are called surge brakes. There is a plunger inside the hitch and when you hit your brakes the ball pushes that plunger back which then pushes hydraulic fluid to the brakes on the trailer. I also rented a United Rentals trailer once with surge brakes and felt they weren't helping much. I don't think the design is all that bad, it was fairly popular, even though electrics are better. I think the main problem is maintenance on those rented trailers, I would guess it's pretty poor and in both our cases the brakes on the trailers needed rebuilding.