Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my first mod??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by little79k5, Mar 27, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

i am aquiring a 79 k5 with a new 350, t350, 10bolt and 12bolt. pretty stock right now. what should be my first mod??

keith

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Get it and get use to it before you lift it and put big tires on it. You want to get to learn your limitations, because a big vehicle can take you places you arent ready for.

3. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

well, i have a ranger with 35's so im pretty used to off roading. but i think im going with 38.5"s on the k5.
    What lifts are considered to be the best quality for blazers? i think i want a 8".

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea I agree to learn to use what you got first. you might wanna do exhaust & headers with an open element air filter or something like that. either that, or start saving your $$$. if you wanna save some money when you lift you'll end up with new tires & wheels. if you will go to either 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles at the same time you won't have to re-purchase tires & wheels.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1-ton all the way baby... best mod ever. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

6. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 also. The best mod I did was the lift/tires. 4" lift and 35s. Just make sure you drop the tcase and the driveline angle is right. I have had problems due to mine. Other great thing was exhaust. Flowmasters make it sound better. I like the way my truck looks better also with all the body moulding removed and no emblems.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Ditch the auto hubs quick!!! That would be my first suggestion... after that is lift, tires, and drive train upgrades. Everyone is right though... learn how to handle the K5. Its quite a unique vehicle offroad! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I would get a locker in the rear first. My truck is stock and thats what I plan on buying first. I wanted a lift at first, but after I saw what a non lifted toyota could do locked in the front and rear, it blew me away.

9. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

My 77 is stock with 31's. In a year or so, about when my tires need replacing I would like to go one ton with a flip. That ought to buy me about 3 inches withouit changing the springs. Room for bigger tires and the lower gears I'll need all at once. If there is any flaw in my logic somebody please let me know.

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about a shackle flip? That can give you 2 1/2'' or 4'' on the rear only. The one ton axles (d60 & 14bolt) will only give you 3/4'' to 1'' of lift on the front due to the taller spring perches. Other than that you are assured 3.73 gears or better with the new axles.

11. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)