Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My first tranny install, and I have a question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Jan 6, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Alright, I put the new tranny up on my '89 (700R4) and bolted the bellhousing up, and noticed that the torque converter holes that fasten up to the flywheel are about a half to three quarters of an inch away from the holes on the flywheel. Problem? Any suggestions?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

No problem. You can spin the converter untill the bolts line up and slide it forward to the flexplate. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

par for the course. spin it around till they line up.

4. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

thanks... here goes nothing

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not understanding if they aren't lining up like you need to spin the torque converter.. or like there is a gap and you need to tighten the bolts up to suck up the torque converter against the flexplate.

You should be able to move the torque converter easily.

If you can't move the torque converter back and forth a little, and spin it freely with very little force...
    Then the torque converter is NOT indexed into the oil pump in the front of the tranny... and it will be binding up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I've done this a few times while installing a tranny.
    ya get the tranny all bolted up to the engine and then realize the converter wont spin.
    Gotta drop the tranny back, take out the torque converter a little ways spin it then push it back in and try to get it to drop into place.

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif