Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My fishtank stinks, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mofugly13, May 19, 2006.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have a freshwater aquarium and lately the water has started stink like a rotten egg. I do the 25% water change every other week, condition the water, vacuum the gravel, etc. I don't know what the cause is. The only thing I can guess is that I replaced the 6 year old bio filter with a brand new one about 2 months ago. I didn't put any of that nitrifying bacteria that you're supposed to add when you start a new tank, to help with biological filtration. Could that be it? I added the recommended dose today, hoping that helps. but it REALLY smells bad. The water is clear, and the fish seem happy, but my GF and I aren't happy, the stank is ridiculous. I have had this particular aquarium running for about 10 years now, and tis is the first time I've ever noticed anything like this. Any ideas?

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have showered lately, haven'y ya? :wink1:

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

OK, you're gonna think I am being a smarta*s, but are you sure it is the water and not a little feeder fish or something rotting behind the tank?

How many gallons?
    Undergravel filter?
    What kind of fish?

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

filter?

Does your new filter system use carbon, that helps control odor.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That's what i was going to say, sounds like it needs new carbon or,,,,i forget what it is, but it's white, and helps control ammonia and other odors as well.

I use the comdo stuff, carbon and that stuff, works real good, I usually don't have to mess with the filter, but once a month or so.

Also, if your tank has been up and running for awhile now, i personally wouldn't do the 25% water change as often as you are, maybe like once every month or even once every other month, don't clean the gravel that much either, this is part of where your bacteria is comig from you need in there, don't over feed, this is the main cause of alot of "crap" other than crap in the gravel.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

7. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you should get a water test kit. It would answer real quick if your water isn't where it should be. After two months you should already be done withe cycling the tank unless your tank is very lightly populated.

What size tank, what kind of fish, how many of them etc would be useful as well. :-)

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sell the fish in China Town and use the tank as a target:D

9. mofugly13

Ha ha, corey. Little appetizers! My tank is a commnity tank, some guppies, mollies, tetras, a pleco, and a bottom feeding cat. Stinks like poo.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

what size is the tank, and exactly how many fish do you have in it?

11. docgab

yeah and exactly what type of filtration are you using? undergravel, hang on tank, canister etc?

12. mofugly13

It's a 20 gallon tank with a hang on Bio-Wheel filter. No undergravel filter. I didn't really have the stank until I bought a new Bio-wheel to replace my old azz one. When I did replace it, there were only 3-4 small fish in the tank and I did a super thorough vacuum ofthe gravel as well. I thought that there should have been plenty of bacteria left to establish a new colony on the bio wheel, but aftr two months of running the new filter, the wheel looks brand new, no discoloration or noticeable 'growth' of anything on it. I thought the lack of nitrifying bacteria might be the culprit, so yesterday I added a bottle of live bacteria to the tank, hopefully that will take care of it. Could that be the cause of the stink, not enough bacteria? If so, then I think I'm on th eroad to recovery.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Possibility, give it some time now, and keep replacing the carbon in the filter pads about every two weeks and see if anything changes, don't do anymore water changes for awhile, i don't think you have enough fish in there to justify a water change every two weeks.

Go easy on the feeding too, not too much, that stuff turns to crap, and not through the fish either.

That's another thing,,,how often are you feeding them, and how much?

14. mofugly13

I feed them once a day, about as much as they can eat in 3 minutes, which is just a hefty pinch of flakes. My bottom feeding catfish does a really good job of getting rid of any leftovers. I'll stop the water changes for awhile, go once a month or so from now on.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Maby your pussy needs a duche.

16. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

Over feeding will do it,and make sure there is no dead ones in there some where.
    Becareful not to change the water to much you could kill the fish. underground filters do help alot when used with bio filters.

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

18. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Over feeding causes most of the problems people have.

Not a big fan of undergravel filters.. they can keep a lot of crap stuck on the bottom of the tank that will eventually kill the fish.. ( ask me how I know)..

My 45 gallon just uses dual bio-wheels, with pass - through carbon packs, and I stick bags of chemi - pure in the media resevoir.

I'll change out maybe 20 gallons of water every 8 weeks, ( while vacuuming the gravel) and add some ammo - lock for dechlorination purposes.

best way I found to vac the gravel is this.. once I fill the vac with water, I keep my finger over the hose end.. then, I stick the vac straight down into the gravel, as far as it will go.. then I take my finger off the hose, and let the water come out until it runs clear.. then I put my finger back over the hose, and pick the vac end straight up, then back down, right next to the spot I just did, and repeat the process. It works best with a larger vacuum.

It's a bit more tedious, but it gets everything, and keeps the crap from clouding the tank while I'm trying to clean it. By the time I'm done, I've removed about 20 gallons of water.

Maybe doing it this way will help remove the stink problem.

Pics are of my 6 year old pink gourami, and my geophagus cichlid..

Tom

fish 001.jpg

fish 004.jpg

19. docgab

I'm not a big fan of undergravel, although I like the reverse undergravel filters better.

20. mofugly13

That's about how I do it. There are no dead fish, and I don't overfeed, I'm hoping the lach of beneficial bacteria has something to do with it.