Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My floor boards get too damn hot!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MilpitasK5, Sep 2, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

A while ago, I had to repair the rust on my floor boards so I pulled the carpet and pad that was under it. The pad was so nasty that I took it out and didn't replace it. I guess that was a heat deflector too??

Since then I've also gotten dual exaust so on long drives (over 40 min.), my floor just gets super hot! It makes the rubber on my shoes get soft!

So where can I get that pad? Or can I put some kind of head shield between my pipes and floor boards?

TIA

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I believe some of our trucks came with a shield right above the catalytic converter. It helps some (reducing it from Scorching to just burning). THe most important part is gonna be the pad between the floor board and carpet.

You can get pads just about anywhere, if I were to do it, I'd consider something waterproof. The factory material is kinda like a big sponge

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im running bare floors exept for a couple rubber floor mats and havnt seemed to have any problems..i dunno..

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im running bare floors exept for a couple rubber floor mats and havnt seemed to have any problems..i dunno..

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I wonder if it's something else? Do you have true duals too?

Pookster ~ Thanks for the input. I'll probably head to HomeDepot to find something that'll work then.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got true duals from a diesel (original diesel body) and no floor covering.

Floorboards get warm, but I can certainly touch them after prolonged driving. Nowhere hear hot enough to soften rubber.

You sure the pipes are far enough away from the body?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 74 K20 plow truck has bare floors so I can hose out the calcium cloride road salt--and I could fry eggs on the floor if I wanted too--even in january!. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifI have dual exhaust too,but its not very close to the floorboards,I think most of the heat comes from the tranny and transfer case in my truck--I have a tranny cooler on it too! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifBut I like it hot in the cab in the winter so I dont put any mats or rugs in it--it's hell in the summer though--no A/C in my trucks!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, I have duals on my truck too, the floor just behind the seats gets hot enough that you can't hold your hand to it for more than a couple of seconds. I don't even have cats, so it's jus the exhaust pipes that are heating it uplike that. I was thinking about making a heat sheild to deflect some of the heat, but there's not alot of room in there with the duals snaked around the tranny/t-case... I have just a bare floor as well behind the seats, and only a rubber mat up front.</font>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 75 was miserable with the top on and bare floors. I replaced the body bushings and put a 1 inch body lift on. gave it some airflow over the top of the frame. Some mats and a door mat over the tunnel and it's not so bad now.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeap true duals. allthough..the pipes on my truck run UNDER the t-case/tranny crossmember and they are suppost to run above it. so that may be why.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeap true duals. allthough..the pipes on my truck run UNDER the t-case/tranny crossmember and they are suppost to run above it. so that may be why.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Yeah, you have way more space between your pipes and floor... </font>

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pep Boys sells the replacement padding, with an aluminized heat sheild on one side. It's about $20 for a 4'x6' roll.

The '88 Blazer I just ripped apart had a heat shield over the cat that bolted to the top of the frame rail. There was another heat shield for the muffler that bolted to the floorboard. Perhaps a walk through a junkyard could net you enough parts to heatshield most of the exhaust pretty easily. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif One of the 4WD mags recently did an article on wraping up most of the exhaust system with some sort of high temp insulation. It made a tremendous difference in how much heat came into the cab, but that stuff costs serious bucks!

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you mean like header wrap? ive been thinking about wraping my headers in it so i dont burn the wires when one of them falls on the pipe.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't use header wrap in your part of the world. It holds in road salt and will eat up everything its wrapped around. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Most header companies state that using header wrap voids the warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you're worried about your plug wires, you can purchase heat protection boots that slip over the plug wires. Check out the Summit catalog. I'm sure that I've seen them there.

The stuff I'm talking about is an aluminized insulating wrap that can withstand extreme temps. I think it was developed by NASA. Just a couple of feet of it can run you $50, so it can run up a big bill very fast. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But it works.