Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My foot hurts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by afroman006, Jun 11, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

About a month ago I started jogging for the first time since I graduated high school (2 years). I started off doin a mile or so a day and have worked my way up to 4 or 5 miles a day. I run on the sidewalks here in town and have a decent set of new balance shoes. Last week, the outside edge of my right foot started to hurt in the middle. Its not a debilitating hurt but its annoying. I used to get shin splints prety bad in high school and I would compare this pain to them, but I've never heard of foot splints.

It really bugs the **** out of me when I'm barefoot or wearing sandals but when I am wearing shoes or boots its almost non-existant. I went running today and it didnt bother me at all. Is it just a running related booboo that will get better all by itself or do I need to do anything special to make it stop hurting? I dont want to stop running cause its a great stress relief and I'm trying to get back into shape.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have the same problem. When ever I get up in the middle of the night to take a piss I can hardly walk on My bare feet. My heels feel like they have been beat on. Put on My work boots in the morning and I'm good to go.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You have plantar faciitis. It can occasionally be treated by a combination of stetching exercises, a night splint, icing and a mild orthotic like superfeet.. If that doesn't handle it, then see a podiatrist for taping, custom orthotics and maybe an injection or 2 for pain. More here and here

Afroman: you may be just bruising it or straining it cuz you're running / walking without sufficient arch support so biomechanical alignment is off. It would be worth it to see a podiatrist who could put you in a good custom orthotic for running.

BTW, shin splints are caused by a lack of biomechanical alignment and lack of stretching. But stretching alone won't prevent it. Only orthotics, correctly molded to your feet and correcting your alignment will fix/prevent it. Sounds like your current problem is similar.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Feet,ankle,knee,and backproblems. Your getting old :D

5. afroman006

Yah my age is really starting to catch up with me. :D I dont really feel like going to see a doctor so I'll just deal with it. When I played soccer in high school our practice field was rock hard packed down dirt with almost no grass on it and we wore normal cleats, which dont support all that well on hard ground. Thats why I got shin splints then and they always went away eventually so I'll just stick it out for now.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Then try some off the shelf arch supports that have a full sole, it'll give you a little more support and some padding under your feet. And don't wear flip flops for a while until it doesn't hurt to do so, then only occasionally

7. afroman006

Ok that sounds like a plan. Is it still an arch support problem if the outside edge of my foot hurts, as in the thin part that still touches the ground that isnt really "arched"?

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hey Your making Us Simpletons look dumb with all that fancy talk:D
    Thanks BTW.......

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Not directly. But if your foot is not hitting the ground in proper alignment, for example, if your foot rolls to its outside edge a bit as it hits the ground instead of hitting heel, then rolling towards the toes through the center of the foot then over over the center of the ball of the foot, thne that can cause damage with resulting pain to the outside edge.

A custom orthotic corrects the incorrect motion of the foot and so prevents injury and often increases performance. If you go with an off the shelf arch support, it may give you enough support to cause a similar correction, tho it may not, being off the shelf and not fabricated specifically to correct your particular alignment problem.

It's possible that pressure on the arch itself could cause pain on the outer part of your foot as strain put on arch tendons, ligaments and muscles pull on that edge. Arch supports should help that.

If they don't you really should see a podiatrist.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're welcome :thumb:

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Doesn't take "fancy talk" as you so eloquently put it, to do that, tow boy.:wink1: :D

John