Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my frame is cracking!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, Apr 29, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

do i absolutely have to get the weld-in brace, or will the bolt-in deal work? should i get both? i was planning on getting the bolt-in deal before it started....... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

It's a little laste for the bolt in. The weld in will repair the crack /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Do it right and get the weld in repair kit and the add the brace afterwards /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You don't have much of a choice at this point /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

yeah, i figured im gonna have to do the weld-in reguardless...... do i really need the bolt-in if i get the weld-in? im only running 33's.... i didnt think it would start this early. but, if i need it, i'll get it.

5. stallion85

that depends, if you never want to worry about it again I would get the brace also. If you don't you may regret it down the road? I haven't heard of any one cracking there frame after installing the weld in kit but most put the brace on afterwards as a lesson learned. I guess it would really be up to you /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. stallion85

By the way I looked at pic's of your rig, Looks really good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

thanks!

ORD is awsome. they make some great products..... but, i'll be damned if they don't send me to the poor house. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

well, i guess, technically, my blazer would be sending me to the poor house..... ORD is just enticing me to get there quicker... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. stallion85

Yea they have that effect, I really like how Steve Watson replies to posts about his products and his corteousy. They make great products and are definetley worth the money /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did both the weld in and bolt on when mine cracked. Now I don't worry about that part of my truck at all...and it's hard to put a price on peace of mind.

Rene

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do you turn the wheel while the truck is sitting still?
    I have been lucky and mine hasn't cracked even with 35x16 boggers (knock on wood)but I am extra carefull how I turn.

What I would do is weld up the cracks really well /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gifand then grind them smooth /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif. Then take your weld in kit and...weld it in. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif You should be OK then. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What I would do is weld up the cracks really well and then grind them smooth

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I read somewhere that grinding welds makes them weaker. Is there any truth to this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you turn the wheel while the truck is sitting still?

[/ QUOTE ]

my steering wheel used to be off a whole lot..... truck still tracked straight, just with a crooked steering wheel.... draglink needed to be adjusted.... anyways.... 2 weekends ago, took a trip to shilo ridge for some trail riding.... i took her easy for the most part, but i think i hit a couple holes a little too hard.... on the drive home from shilo, the steering wheel was (for the first time) dead-on perfectly straight. and, i hadn't done any adjustments. i imagine it cracked while trail riding. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It depends whether the weld actually penetrated down to the base metal. With an ideal weld, grinding it down to the surface makes it as strong as or stronger than stock, not counting stress risers that some talk about

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    What I would do is weld up the cracks really well and then grind them smooth

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I read somewhere that grinding welds makes them weaker. Is there any truth to this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]The main thing is getting good penetration. The reason for grinding the welds on the frame is so the weld in brace plate will fit flush up against the frame. The brace will then take most of the stress. It might weaken the weld a little by grinding it but it is better than leaving the frame cracked letting it still flex and then plating it. I weld up cracked frames on our spread axle 48' trailers all the time and I first weld up the cracks, grind them smooth, then weld the plate flush to the frame. Obviously a frame cracks because of too much flex....if you don't weld the cracks before plating they will just spread like a crack on a windshield because the frame will continue to flex even after its been plated. That is how I've always been taught how to fix cracked frames and my dad is a professional welder. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

15. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clearing that up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif