Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My front end wandering all over the road

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I know this has been discussed time and time again. And with an 8 inch lift and 36 MT does not help. Does the ord steering box bolt in brace address this issue? My steering box is new so I do not think that is the problem. How do you know when you need to adjust it and how? How do you know when its ball joints etc etc? What can I do when my blazer is driven on the street and the freeway to have more control. I am tired of having to hang on for dear life. :mad: Is there anything I can do without having to do crossover. My 1/2 ton axles did the same thing like my new 3/4 ton. :(

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well an easy way to check joints is to have somebody move the steering wheel back and forth while your under there watching every joint and rod end for movement. they oughta be stiff. and get under there and shake stuff to see what is going on down there. also check your rag joint where your steering shaft meets up with your steering box. little rubber type ring. i replaced mine and it helped out alot suprisingly. i have about 2hours of play in my steering wheel and everything is tight. its in my new steering box. i also need to know how to adjust it.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What type of steering, crossover? Dropped drag link? Dropped pitman arm? Raised steering block? or a combination. Possibly a alignment issue? Of course could always be worn tie rods and or ball joints. I doubt the steering brace is gonna fix it

4. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

As I posted in another thread, I disassembled the front suspension on my K5 which had been installed by the PO. What I found was that he hadn't installed the spring pins in the pads correctly, thus allowing the front axle to walk back and forth a bit.

That and removing the 4-degree shims up front solved my problems.
    d