Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My front left camber looks off... help.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Jan 16, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

The front right tire on my '89 looks to be off-camber. The top of the tire looks like its further out than the bottom. Is there any way at all to adjust camber? I have a 10 bolt in the front. Thanks all.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like deeper issues like ball joints.... jack up that tire and see if it straightens out...then look into loose and worn wheel bearings or bad ball joints...

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There are off-center sleeves for the upper ball-joint. (The sleeves unscrew from the knuckle with a special small pronged socket avail at most any tool place). "Looks" can be deceiving. Do you have abnormal tire wear? (In your case, left front would show outside tire wear, if everything else in in alignment) If you really want to know, take it to a shop and have 'em check the numbers, they usally charge about 1/2 what an alignment costs to to have 'em read out where it's at.
    Beware those sleeves only correct very little, so if it's really out-of whack, you need a new axle housing.

BlazerMan

4. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

All the bearings are new in the hub... I think it may be the ball joints. I will jack it up and see if I have any play. Where would I be able to get a sleeve for the joint?

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That my friend is the $1000 question. I got lucky, I bought a set of Moog Ball joints, and the regular sleeve and the offset one was in there. However, 4 months later, I friend bought the exact same set of ball joints, and no off-sleeve, just the regular one.
    Your parts store may carry it seperate, or try an alignment shop.
    Now, once you have one, determining how to install it is paramount. If your doing the work yourself, you'll have the alighnment checked before, know exactly where it is, then prior to removing the old sleeve you will have to measure some point of reference on how the current sleeve is installed. Then, using a standard formula, install the new one in just the right angle.
    So it goes something like this:

a degrees camber (current) /aa measured sleeve angle X b degrees camber (where I would like it to be)/bb (measurement of your new off-set sleeve)

bb is your off-set sleeve installed in the position you would like. So, you'll calculate bb=(aaXb)/a, and install the sleeve in that position, using the same method to measure. Get it wrong, and you'll have to take the whole thing apart again to turn the sleeve.

It's pretty tricky to get it right, your method of measuring the sleeve is critical.