Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Front Springs...Only 2 Leaves?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BJarvis354, Jul 30, 2002.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Here is the deal, my Front Springs aren't flat, they have some negative arch going and are only two leaves! I measure about 2" of travel until I hit the bump stop, which I think is happening on the passenger side because of a bad shock. The stops have definately been hitting the spring since I can see the marks on the springs.

But...I don't want to get 4 inch or even 2-1/2" lift springs, I like the ride, but I need a bit more clearance. I just bought 32s BFG A/Ts and like them so far (I know they are small but these are a good compramise...)

Should I just try ORD's Shakles for an inch of lift? Should I buy new front springs?

1989 K5 350, pretty much stock...

Thanks for any advice,
    Brady

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

15 years ago I put Rancho's ez ride 2.5" lift kit on a '77 K20 replacing the stock springs like you have. really improved the ride over stock. Could cross railroad tracks after at speed without banging my head on the roof.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

ORDs shackles won't give you an inch of lift, maybe 1/4". You might be thinking about their Zero-Rate product, which bolts to the bottom of the spring pack. It raises the truck by 1" but doesn't change the existing spring rate.

If you like the way your truck feels now, that might be the way to go. They work on the rear springs too, in case you want to maintain the same stance you have now.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Or u can take the truck to a spring shop to have the front spring re-arch or they can sell u new(stock)ones for a few buck ..

just my 2 cents on this!!!

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Using a 1" zero-rate will lift the truck and increase tire clearance, but will not get the spring any further from the bump stops.

Stock replacement springs are inexpensive and would have about the same rate you have now if you get the right ones. They just have more arch. You could also use add-a-leafs for 1.5-2", which would be just a little higher than stock, with a slightly stiffer ride. If you buy "lift kit" springs, they are very likely to stiffen your ride.

There were two kinds of front springs available for the K-5/K-10. The two leaf and the three leaf for heavy-duty use (plow, etc.)