Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Fu*king POS K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RobbieOH, May 27, 2002.

1. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

Well, got it running, but whenever I try and shift it out of park or nuetral the motor shuts off. Theres no clunks, or other weird noises, its just as if I had turned the key off. Anybody have any ideas as to what this could be?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Sounds like what happens when the idle is too low. I'm sure you have already adjusted that, but that is all the help I can really offer.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Could be a vacuum leak.........

One hint, brother - we all have problems with our rides, and we can understand that you're frustrated. However, the tone and implied language of your post could be offending to some. You may get more help if you titled your post "Truck stalls when I put it into gear" or something like that........not trying to be a cop ar anyhting/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree with Canmore.....

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: My

I agree about the title issue.
    Sounds like your timming is screwed up to me. What was just done to it that it wasn't running?

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Could also be a locked up torque converter.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

My guess is the neutral/park safety switch got wired incorrectly(if there was anything done in that area). It should work only for the "start" position not the "run" position.

8. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

ditto Michael

9. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

RobbieOH, I got a kick outta your title, I know how you feel.

10. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

What happened was that the n/s switch got tweeked and didnt allow me to start it, but i didnt know that until after I'd put a new starter in. I removed the n/s switch so I wouldn't have to mess with it again, is there a wrong way to remove it? And I know my tranny is blown, but its not like it seizes, the motor, flexplate, and torque converter coast to a stop just as if you had turned the key off. I think I messed up the n/s switch and its cutting it out. Let me know about ideas, on how to properly bypass a n/s switch. As far as the title goes, I was EXTREMELY frustrated, as this is supposed to be my daily driver, and it has spent more time in my parking spot than on the road, and Im just getting absolutely fed up with fixing the problems, most of which have been caused by a previous owner who thought he had a clue about fixing trucks, but obviously was a moron.

11. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Doesn't the neutral safety switch just prevent cranking the motor over when it's in gear. It shouldn't have anything to do with things once it's running. I'd suggest checking the shifter linkage and making sure nothing get's pinched, etc. when putting it gear. Could be shorting a wire out. Also make sure you get voltage to the coil (or distributor if it's HEI) when it's in gear.
    I'd start it, put it in gear, then when it dies, LEAVE IT IN GEAR, set the parking brake and check the coil/dist, then take it form there.

P.S. I'm not offended by the title. I've been there. I can't recall a time when I've said "Gee golly gosh" when I was really frusterated with my ride. Maybe I've been hanging out on the less PC boards too much.....

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i'm pretty offended too. LOL J/K

As for the problem, I'm not sure WTF it is. but i hope you figure it out man. The K5's no fun sitting in the garage. Trust me, I know.

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

There should be a yellow and a purple(or purple and purple/white) wire for the safety start.....jump them together and it should start and run. The other two wires...Blue and Green are for backup lights. Good Luck!