Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My fuel gauge is messed up.....can anybody help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sax Art, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Sax Art

Sax Art Registered Member

I've got a 1991 and the fuel gauge will read fine, then spikes up to waaaayyy past the full mark. If I tap firmly on the gauge's glass, it will (sometimes) fall back down to reading the tank's actual level, but then it will later go back to waaaaayy past full.

I'm thinking it's just a bad ground or a loose wire, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Maybe then, I'll know what to look for when I open up the dash!

Thanks

2. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen on my 70, (except for the tapping it and it moving), and it turned out to be the ground wire back at the tank was very lose.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you are right check your ground wires clean and make sure the wires are firmly attached to the gauge

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, GM gauges use a 90 ohm sending unit. 90 ohms of resistance is "full", anything less moves the needle towards empty. An open circuit is infinite ohms, so the gauge goes way out past full. (To about the 3 o'clock position on one of the full size gauges). Somewhere you've got a loose connection in the fuel gauge circuit.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would say that if you can tap on the dash and it fixes it then check behind the dash first

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud