Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My gas gauge is dyslexic!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainibis, Jun 23, 2003.

1. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

When I got my Jimmy, the gas gauge didn't work. It was pegged on empty. I took off the sending unit wiring and grounded out the positive wire, and it pegged well past full. According to old threads I looked through, this means that the trouble's with my sending unit (them there searches come in handy!)

The yellow wire from the sending unit was running to the ground, and the black wire was running to the gauge. Thinking this wasn't right, I switched them. Now, my gauge reads backwards (full tank reads empty, empty tank reads full).

Any ideas on what's making this happen?

If y'all have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. If not, at least it's accurate when I have half a tank /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i didnt know that a gas gauge in our trucks could leave empty. did you switch the wires on the unit itselfor just at the gauge. sounds like its just got the signal reversed. maybe it wasnt grounded good and reading until you reversed and tightened up the ground.

nathan

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Flip your truck over! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    did you switch the wires on the unit itselfor just at the gauge. sounds like its just got the signal reversed. maybe it wasnt grounded good and reading until you reversed and tightened up the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

I switched the wires at the tank. Once I saw that it was reading backwards, I switched them again to see what would happen. It went back to reading completely empty.

With so many other things that need done on my ride, I really shouldn't be worrying so much about the gas gauge. But, it'd be nice to take one thing off the ol' to-do list.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

With so many other things that need done on my ride, I really shouldn't be worrying so much about the gas gauge. But, it'd be nice to take one thing off the ol' to-do list.

[/ QUOTE ]

id keep it up pretty high on the list. it made need other stuff done but walking sucks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and sometimes you forget to count the miles on the speedo. sorry i dont have any other ideas

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

maybe the polarity is wrong at the guage.i had to hot wire my guages to a hot ignition circuit to get the guages to work.also if the ground wire is not attached to the guage cluster it can do all kinds of weird stuff.my guages would slam back and forth with the blinkers and when i turned on the headlights it would make everything go to half of what it was supposed to be.so at full gas tank read half and half tank read empty or quarter tank.i just put an extra ground strap i had going to the guages and it solved that problem.

7. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

I don't have any suggestions because mine is jacked up also and cannot get it working. I put a new sender on it and it reads as follows 1/4 tank and its full, 1/8 tank and its half, and empty is still empty. I'm at a total loss.

Dave Jr

8. gimartinez

gimartinez Newbie

Hi, i have the wiring diagrams for the 1970 model. If you need them, send me an email and i'll be glad to share that information with you.

Regards,

Gerardo Martinez
    Mexico
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    gerardo.martinez@extreme-zound.com