Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MY GEAR INSTALL SUCCESSFUL **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Apr 26, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok. . . so I finally got my gears. . .and started to put them in. . .and after running ALL over town for liquid gaskets, u-joint straps, u-joint u-bolts, lug nuts, gear oil, marking compound, and lockwashers. . . i get home and start to put it together. it's not so bad at fist, getting stuck once when one of theraces was slightly not all the way in and would lock up the bearing when i tightened the retainers down. got that fixed and then i came to the fill plug. I DON'T HAVE ANY SQUARE allen wrenches . . .who does? so i take a grade 8 bolt (grade 8 my ass, that was premium, took forever to grind!) and grind the head down into a square, and the other end into a rectangle for an adjustable wrench to fit on, and i get the plug out and start to fill it up. damn you you stupid funnel, that gear oil was so thick that i could pour maybe MAYBE a 1/2 cup (4oz) a minute. so i wasted more time on that. then i start to put the driveshaft in and i start with the pinion yoke and rested the upper end on the t-case yoke. . .i musta dropped it on my head 10 times! anyway, if something it wrong with it tomorrow. . .i quit. i'm done.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: I HATE THIS GEAR INSTALL! (semi-long rant)

[ QUOTE ]
    then i came to the fill plug. I DON'T HAVE ANY SQUARE allen wrenches . . .who does? so i take a grade 8 bolt (grade 8 my ass, that was premium, took forever to grind!) and grind the head down into a square, and the other end into a rectangle for an adjustable wrench to fit on

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's a lot of work for something that just takes the extension bar for a 3/8" ratchet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. BowtieRed

shut up. . . /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    edit. . . hmmmm. . .i just check and my 3/8" doesn't fit in there. . .hmmm. . .i feel better now. . .

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well then, try your 1/4" or 1/2"...it's one of 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm pretty sure it's 1/2".../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also the gear oil, don't bother with the funnel. Most bottles of gear lube have a pointy ended bottle...open it up, stick tip in hole and squeeze the gear lube in like toothpaste out of the tube. Never takes me more than 10 minutes to fill a diff.

Dropping stuff on your head I can't help you with...LOL

Rene

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    open it up, stick tip in hole and squeeze . Never takes me more than 10 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Rene, that was just too easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ya, watch the noggin dude, that smarts /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif try a helmet and some glasses, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah it's 1/2", damn you did all that work for that? Didn't it look like a ratchet might fit in there... lol Oh well. Later
    -fLeXy K20

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

You've never changed diff fluid but you're changing gears!?!

9. BowtieRed

never in a 14FF, and it a borrowed funnel i ran over my old one. my old 12b had a square male plug in the diff cover, and so does my front 10b. and i bought a big bottle of diff lube. if there had been a pointed top, i'm smart enough atleast to use that /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

exactly what I was thinking, every diff or tranny I ever changed or added fluid has the plug that a 3/8 1/2" drive fitted in, what alot of work, the wheels must have been spinnin real fast to grind a bolt head down to go in that square drive plug, j/k /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, good luck with the gear install

11. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I heard you could warm up the gear oil in your microwave to make it flow better. I've never tried it though. I don't want hot oil to spill over me.

Come to think about, it is probally safer for you if don't warm up the gear oil frist if you keep dropping something on your head. Who knows what kind of carnage you could do with hot gear oil.

12. BowtieRed

well i drove the k5 to the mall today with gears, it about 5 miles, 45 all the way and i got out and the diff cover wasn't even warm! it was great! t-case fine, all bolts in place, nothing leaking! (NAPA RTV silicon rubber is an awesome liquid gasket! i have 5 diff cover bolts and not a drop has come out!) after getting about an hours worth of jumps to start her back up i've decided i definitely need new battery cables, or god forbid a new starter $$ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and on the 45mph road i looked at my speedometer and i was passing people at "32" mph! guess i need that calibrated. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif oh well! i successfully installed gears on my own!