Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Great Depression

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

After some convincing I decide to fix the BBC my friend gave me and use it in my Blazer. After finding parts that I will need I went ahead and pulled the crank to have it turned. It ends up I don't have a 454 I have a 396. Is a 396 worth all the trouble? Any guess on power. PS I am going from a stock 355 TBI and will be fuel injectiong the 396 if I stick with it. I just want some opinions before I spend any more money.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Get a 454 crank for it...then you'll have a 427.

Rene

3. Jeromy Gibson

I was thinking about that, I just don't have the money to machine another crank right now. I was givin the engine and hopefully I can get it going for around 300 buck. That might be next years project.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

search!!

There was a recent post about putting a 454 crank in another BBC block!--its rather involved,and expensive!...I'd read up on it before attempting it..

A 396 is still a impressive engine--it wont have as much low end grunt as a 454,but it will rev higher and still put out good HP...they had some versions pumping out 375 hp factory!..they are not a dog!....I would not hesitate to put one in any of my trucks and run it--especially if it was free!!...it is a bit of work to go from a SBC to a BBC though..its up to you to decide if chasing all the brackets,and other things you need to change is worth the effort... :crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

man wish could find a 396 up here, i have never come across or seen a single one yet, closest ive seen is a 402 from a 72 truck that my stepdad has stashed away,

also once i came across a poor 69 CST/10 396 badged truck with the engine and tranny a rad support and hood missing, in a junk yard north of here

396 rare as hell

find them all over WA state and such i know, the old 396 402 engines grow on trees there, and the trucks/cars too,.

good luck, wish i was close enough to buy it off ya id love to snag one up,

6. Jeromy Gibson

yea this is going to be a project. I just hope Mark has a prom so that I can use my fuel injection. I already have everything but the alt bracket and PS pump bracket but I will figure something out there. The casting numbers show this to be a 69 truck engine, so I don't think that it will be a screamer, hopefully headers and TBI will wake it up. I guess I am worried because all of the 454 or bust posts on here.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

1969??

A 1969 motor will have a higher compression ratio than any later motors will,that alone will make more HP and torque..I'd not worry about it not being a 454...granted,the longer stroke of a 454 is better for low end torque,but your 396 will have no problem pulling a K5 or pickup around...and not many people can tell by looking its NOT a 454 (fooled you,didnt it ?:doah: :p: )...dont tell anyone,they wont ever know!...A friend had a 75 K5 with a 396 out of a wrecked 69 camaro,with a SM465 4 speed..wasn't much his truck could not climb or pull!...and it was plenty strong enough to strip the ring and pinion in his 12 bolt rear axle when he did one too many burnouts with it.. :crazy: