Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Head is spinning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Blazer, May 15, 2005.

1. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hello
    A couple months ago I became the proud owner of a 1987 K5 Blazer. I had it a couple of days and decided it needed to be covered in mud (just so I could say she was mine). Make a long story short I broke a spidergear in the rear axle.I also think I broke something in the 208 transfer case. I have been looking around on this forum and decided to swap out the 10 bolt axles. I already have a 14bff for the rear and am looking for a D60 for the front. This seems to be the route everyone has gone.

I will be running 35" tires on 16" rims.

This is where my head starts spinning with all the information from CK5. :confused:

With 35" tires it looks like I need to run minimum of 6" of lift. Or do I need more? I currently have a 4" lift with blocks in the rear. So I need some oppinions on the best way to go about lifting the blazer. What will give the best articulation? 6" lift with new leaf springs all the way around? or a shackle flip with what springs 54",56" for the rear? What should I do to the front?

Also I need a transfer case I have a 350 motor with a 350 trans. I have been thinking of trying to fine a 205 but it sounds like they my not be the perfect choice. My other Idea was to go with a NP241 with a slip yoke elimintor kit.
    Any comments on these two Ideas.

I don't have a money tree in my back yard but I believe in doing things the right way the first time, it ends up being less expensive.

Thanks Steve

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMO stick with the 4" to keep your CoG low and cut the fenders for clearance. That's my chosen route!
    As for the t/case, 205's are generally considered about the strongest and most plentiful. Heavy but strong. And if you pick up a cheap 203 in your travels one day, you could build a doubler!

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You'll need to trim a little to fit 35's on a 4 inch lift. Put it all together first, then flex it to see how much.