Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My head unit won't turn on

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MudFrog, Jun 18, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My head unit won\'t turn on

I've got a Kenwood tape deck with a cd changer hooked up to it. On nights I take my top off I detach the face and bring it inside with me. This morning I put the face back in but the unit won't turn on. I checked all the fuses and I know it's getting power because when I take the faceplate off the little red LED flashes on the deck itself (I guess it's a car alarm mimic?) I also made sure the faceplate was snapped in securley. Any suggestions? The deck is about 4 years old but I rarely took the faceplate off up untill this year. I doubt I've even taken it off 25 times in those 4 years.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: My head unit won\'t turn on

A friend of mine is haveing problems with his Kenwood also. Won't turn on. His is a CD head-unit. Something to do with the detachable face is all we know. Have you cleaned all the contact points ???

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I haven't had time to yet, but I did check it and they appeared to be clean.

4. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

First try cleaning the contact points with an eraser or rough them up a little with some very fine sandpaper. If that doesn't work, there is usually a "reset" button somewhere on the front of the head unit that will be visible with the faceplate removed. It's a tiny button that will require a toothpick or small screwdriver to depress. Pushing this reset should get you going again.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I just tried both of these and neither worked. Any other ideas?

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I know you said that you already checked the fuses, but you might want to give 'em one more look. Head units commonly have two 12V+ leads powering them. One is spliced into a source that turns on and off with the ignition and this is what primarily powers the unit. There is also a second power lead that connects to a 12V source that is on all of the time so as to save the station presets, time, etc... and probably your red led light. So maybe the main (switched) fuse is blown or the wire became disconnected? Know what I mean?

Other than that, I have no idea. Four years is a pretty good run with an aftermarket head unit, though. Might be time to go shopping again!

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some headunits also have another fuce on the back of the sterio itself close to where the wire harness plugs in.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Mine does as well, and I glanced at the top but didn't pull it... getting ready to pull it now. I hope it's not the face plate because a replacement plate is $100 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif .