Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my hood is moving and i don't want it to

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Dec 3, 2001.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my hood is moving and i don\'t want it to

at about 65mph and up, my hood bounces up and down like it's gonna fly off one day. would those hood lock pins help fix that? or do they just sit there and look cool.

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Re: my hood is moving and i don\'t want it to

Sounds like the latch is loose. Try tightening the shaft that mounts to the hood. The one that actually comes down and 'locks' into the latch on the core support. Make it shorter and it should tighten it up and keep your hood down tight.

3. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i dunno about the hood pins but is it jumping around like its not shut all the way or that its not a firm as it use to be?
    my old step side the middle of the hood use to jump up and down. it was just giggling from the vibration.

4. muddysub

it isn't as firm as it used to be. it only moves about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch when air gets under it.

scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

5. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

then i would do what 90blzr sied. adjust the latch make it tighter.

6. muddysub

cool, i'll try it.

scott,

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

My hood got tweeked in the center from the previous owner (must have been something mighty high like a tree).
    Anyway, my hood could move like that even when it was tight. I put the hood locks on (not pins) and now it sits tight and it would be much harder to rip off (steal). I always used them on my old hot rods. It's not much fun having a hood fly up. The only problem I had is that with alot of wheeling, one of the lock shafts broke but it was easy to replace once you have a set installed. I'd go with the locks. Safer is better!

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

8. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western

Those hood pins do look cool, HOWEVER, from my experience, they also attract punk rip-off wannabes. They have it figured that if there's a hood pin, then there MUST be a hot engine under there, something worth ripping off.
    Of course cool looking hood pins, AND a well trained snarling Rottweiler in the back would discourage theft attempts.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is it shimming side to side or lifting?
    There are several bumpers around the hood to keep it steady.
    On the core suport on each corner will be some mushroom shapped mounts that can be adjusted up and down to level the hood with the fenders. One both fenders there should be rubber bumpers to keep the hood centered and from shimmijng side to side. The rubber on all these mounts will get dry and hard over time and shrink a little. Playying with those should get it pretty stable. Hood is tweeked on my 75 and it dances all over the place. THe hood on the lady's 79 is in good shape but the bumpers on the fenders are hard and it will shimmy a little side to side but not much. Often you can find those bumpers in the Help section at the local parts store. LMC, YEARONE, Golden State, Chevy Duty all carry them if you can't find them local. Not expensive at all.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The hood latch may just be worn out. I had to replace one on a '77 K5 many years ago. From vibrating against the lock pin, it had gotten to the point that it wouldn't hold the hood down any more. I was driving across I-80 in Wyoming, doing about 80 into a 50-60 mph headwind when suddenly the primary hood latch let go. Luckily it caught on the secondary latch or I would have had a very messed up K5 [​IMG]. Nearly had some messed up shorts anyway. [​IMG]

Anyway, it wouldn't stay latched after that. I had to tie the hood down until I found a Chevy dealer that had the latch in stock. I replaced it in the parking lot of a dealer in Denver. The edge of the cone on the pin, that locks into the latch, was also badly worn, but I turned it aroud to start wearing on a new surface of the pin. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

MuddySub like Grimmy said the hight adjusters on the grill should keep it from bouncing up and down. Re-adjust them for the hight. It sounds like they are to low. It will give you a nice and solid sound when it shuts.

Good luck. KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

12. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I had pins on my Blazer before its wreck. they work great I am just waiting for the time to make some for my blazer again. My hood jumps around especially when I go past or get past by an 18 wheeler. scarry. They work and are well worth it.
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I just replaced all the rubber bumpers on the edges of the hood, and the two threaded "mushroom" corner bumpers near the radiator.

I started with them set kind of low, and kept testing the fit (and raising them) until the hood closed really snug. No more dancing hood at highway speeds.....

The original factory design works fine....but maybe not after 30 years of abuse!!!! (In the case of my K5). When in doubt, I am learning to replace the old, original parts with new factory ones.....that's usually all it takes.....additional "heroic measures" are not necessary. [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>