Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my horrible, miserable, no good, lousy day.... in a nutshell

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 29, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

after being in an uncharacteristically good mood for over a week now, it is ****ing GONE!

Put a valve cover on a 97 Eclipse today. One of the valve cover bolts went into the number 3 cylinder. I didn't know this, put it back together, fired it up, ting ting ting ting. ****. After we figured out what happened, we got it out and ran a compression test, 0, yep that cylinder is ****ed. Why were the spark plugs out? Because I wasn't aware of where the seals for the spark plug holes were so I figured they had to come out, especially after the valve cover simply didn't want to come off.

That didn't sway my bad mood. I stayed after work an hour and a half and was making really good progress on getting the head off(since I have to eat labor and maybe pay for parts to fix this damn thing now, not even that got me down). My team leader was more upset, FOR me than I was.

I was trying to unbolt the turbo from the manifold, my 3/8" impact simply wasn't getting the job done, so I went to go get my 1/2". So I open the air tools drawer, and set my 3/8" impact in. Now mind you I am very busy and have a bunch of drawers open for all manner of tools I'm using. Sure enough, the 2.8 lbs that my composite body Mac AW3800 weighs, was enough to totally **** the weight balance of my box and bring it right forward onto me. I tried to save it, catching my fingers in the drawer I was using to try and push it back up. After I realized it wasn't happeneing(about the time all the drawers flew at me and I strained my shoulders), I stepped back and it caught my shins on the way down. VERY luckily it missed the car by INCHES.

Now I was PISSED. I seperated the top and bottom boxes and tried to right the bottom box. Just as I would get it up off the ground enough to get it stood up, the drawers hit me in the legs and acted as stops. So I got 2 guys to come help me stand my bottom box back up. Then I started sorting through the tools and throwing them in drawers. Now the huge amount of tools I have that was in SOME form of order, is simply in piles in drawers.

Now thoroughly disgusted I pushed my top box off to the side and decided to head home. Realizing I don't have my cellphone. It always perches up on top of my top box, so if it was there when the box fell, it FLEW. I searched all over and didn't find it. Called it numerous times and no ringer heard. So its most likely in someones car I worked on today since it rings(not busted on the shop floor). YAY... I would say "hopefully they answer it tomorrow and return it to me", but my battery has been on its last legs for a while now and only lasts about 12 hours off of the charger with no use whatsoever. So by the time anyone would notice it in their car, it will be dead... So now I need a new phone and lost my SIM card with all my numbers on it.

Now my good mood is ruined...
    oh and today I turned 2.5 hours, the day before 1.5, the day before that, 1.4 hours... I am going to have an awesome week. If I were making money I would order a new box from Matco on Tuesday, but I'm not so it can't happen, yay.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh and if you want to know "why didn't you think something was up when there was a missing valve cover bolt?" its because one of the guys kicked my pile of bolts halfway through the project so the idea of one missing wasn't a stunning thing to me.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm sorry to hear that man.. sucks... hope it gets better for ya... :(

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uhm drink plenty of beers and call me in the morning...

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks doc, sounds about the prescription I need right now

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

See, that's what happens when you don't have the right toolbox to begin with. It falls down when the going gets rough..

seriously, sorry to hear about your bad day.

Tom

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[​IMG]
    http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?cid=318&productid=4805
    problem solved. :deal:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

absolutely nothing wrong with the box. even a big heavy box like my Snap On will fall over if you leave too many drawers open.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yep your tool will fall out if you have your drawers open...:haha:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have one, should have been using it, handful of bolts I just figured "eh I won't lose this few". I'm using mine on the top end teardow :doah:

next box I get won't fall over... except maybe if my top drawer was really really full. Next box will be a 73" bottom chest or nothing.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

thanks fumes. :waytogo:

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Next time you work on something you'll remember this day and work smarter. It's one of those experiences you never forget that helps you become better at what you do.

Clear your mind of anger and frustration. Go in tomorrow fresh and kick butt. **** happens, it's all about how you recover that builds character.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My advice...

I'd get a job at Burger King,Auto Zone,etc.. ....being a mechanic is way too frustrating on todays crapboxes..it WAS a nice trade until 1985 or so,now its just a pain in the butt to try fixing anything..thats why they make cars that go 100,000 without a tune up now..they are disposable like used snotrags after the first thing goes wrong after that mileage ,or ten years go by..

I never did like the fact machanics are paid "flat rate",or at a measly rate less than ten bucks an hour,for all the backbreaking work involved day after day..Its almost better off being a "Lube Technition" ,changing oil is fairly easy,and does not pay much less than being a mechanic in some places..
    and to add insult to injury,YOU pay for those espensive tools(and toolboxes) you MUST have just to DO the job..and if you do decide to go to another career,those tools that costed YOU fifteen grand will be lucky to bring 5 grand when you sell them,no matter how pristine their condition is..

That is why I spent a lot of time behind parts counters..I tried riding a creeper for awhile..I wasn't able to do it day in,and day out..I am satisfied to be able to fix my own vehicles,but I would not want to be a mechanic on todays vehicles..you have my sympathy...hope tomorrow is better..

I know firsthand how much it sucks to be fixing someone elses car,and have something like a dropped bolt F*** you up royally,and end up COSTING you more money than you ever would have made doing the job..I rebuilt a guys carb once...next day the rear brakes failed due to a rotted steel line..he wanted to take ME to court,and accussed ME of "sabotaging his brakes"...I fixed the dam brake line to settle out of court,and now I rarely if ever fix other "strangers" cars..just my relatives and good friends...too much liability for me...:crazy:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

bob, very few of us are as motivated as you. we'd probably never make it at McDonald's. :rolleyes:

cars today really arent all that complicated. if you step back and take a look at whats going on under the hood, its actually pretty easy figure out. most people are intimidated by wires.

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

McDonalds is where all the illegals work from what I hear, and you can work on any newer car if you possess 13 extentions and 5 wobblies, or your John Homes is equiped with and opposable thumb...:D

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Too much...

Todays cars suck...period..too much electronic wizardry..and front wheel drive is a step backward..I can put 2 clutches in a 4x4 GM truck from the 60's to the 80's in the time it would take to do ONE front wheel drive car clutch,and its EASIER in the 4x4!..you just about have to dismantle the whole front wheel drive's frame and suspension,and try to keep the motor from falling out while your doing it..everything is stuffed in a 2 foot hole,and only inches to spare..

There is no room to swing a wrench ,bolts are impossible to get at unless you have every socket,swivel,and other latest gee-gaw to remove them..no room for a full sized adult hand to reach in and get at anything..must have had midgets build the dam things!..just plain piss poor engineering in todays vehicles,from the mechanics serviceability point of veiw..they look great on paper or a computer screen..but try FIXING one in the real world,and tell me how "fun" it is..

I don't see how anyone can LIKE working on that crap for a living..I'd want to shoot myself every morning if I knew I'd be working on front wheel drive econoboxes all day,day in and day out.. ..give me the good old days of rear wheel drive,V8 motors NOT mounted transversely,and a "normal" tranny (like a Muncie 4 spd!),not some glorified riding mower transaxle like they use now..
    Its no wonder the auto industry is in a tailspin..they brought it upon themselves...:crazy:

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

nevermind.. I was referring to the toolbox arguments from awhile back when I posted that.. I thought referring to a CK5 inside joke would be uplifting.

I keep forgetting - any joke I post must be funny to more people than just me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tom

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually Bob, the industry has gone nothing but forward. are they more complicated? yes. are they harder to work on, you betcha. but... on the upside... they are more reliable in alot of cases, more comfortable, and more efficient.

its guys like you who make them out to be so bad. "that's so hard" blah blah blah. actually use a couple of the brain cells you have left, and take the time to pay attention to what you're doing, and its really not that bad.

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No need to be a tw@t Jeremy...Bob has his opinion and so do you.

Rene

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bailed when I had to start testing airbag sensors... :wink1:

yeah, Paul, go work on boats, smart move... :doah: :haha: :( :haha: