Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My install of hydroboost and hydraulic clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Thought I would do a detailed post about the install of a hydroboost system and hydraulic clutch from a donor 1989 Chevy 1 ton (old body style) on to my 1969 Chevy K20. I installed these two items as I was swapping in the 89's 454 into my 69 K20.

I posted this in the First Gen section but thought some here who don't make it to that forum would like to see it too. If I need to remove one of the posts so I'm not double posting - let me know.

I really like the hydroboost brake system but, of course, I was used to manual brakes so any assist was welcome.

The hydraulic clutch is also nice. I would have had a major problem using the stock z-bar setup with the headers and the swapped in bbc.

When I started contemplating this project, it was mentioned that it might be wise to reinforce the firewall due to the weight of the hydroboost and fact that I was adding the hydraulic clutch. I had a buddy cut me this reinforcement for my firewall with his plasma cutter.

[​IMG]

Another buddy made me the metal shim you see that positions the hydraulic cylinder correctly so the push rod will attach to the clutch pedal.

[​IMG]

The 1989 old body style 1 ton hydraulic clutch master is angled requiring the shim. I later found out that the new body style hydraulic clutch master would not have required that shim. Regarding the shim for the hydraulic clutch cylinder, the way I have it made, it attaches right next to the hydroboost bracket. The template is angled so the bottom is 5/8" thick and the top of the shim angles down to 1/16" thick. The shim is 2 5/8" wide x 2 5/8" tall.

I got the cylinder mounted on the firewall, threaded the push rod and am using a 5/16" threaded clevis rod end to attach the rod to the clutch pedal. Cycles freely and the rod will push in as far as needed. Might have to make a
    stop to limit the clutch pedal.

[​IMG]

I am using the 1989's engine and bellhousing so the slave cylinder was already attached to the bellhousing.

Next I got the hydroboost brake cylinder hung on the firewall. I had to knock the two lower stud bolts off the pedal assembly and drill a couple holes but no biggie. Because of how this is mounted, I have to modify how the steering column attaches to the firewall as the brake booster bracket covers one of the attachment holes.

[​IMG]

Mounted the rod to the brake pedal same as with the clutch. The brake booster rod is 3/8" while the hydraulic clutch rod is 5/16". I cut off the end of the brake booster push rod, threaded it and got it connected to the brake pedal using another clevis rod end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have to have the high pressure line modified. I took the 1989 1 ton's high pressure line along with the stock high pressure line and had them combined - this allowed the metric end to be at the hydroboost master cylinder and the flare end to fit the stock steering box.

Here are some finished pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Nice work

3. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

clean job mang

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status