Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Intake Manifold is leaking, how hard of fix and what do I need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Oct 13, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I found out today my Intake Manifold is leaking coolant into the oil /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So, What all do I need tools wise to fix it? What do I need to look out for when doing it? Anybody have any tips or anything that might help me? Ill also be doing this at my dad's shop and I would like to not have to bother the technicians. BTW, my truck is a 89 K5 with TBI.

2. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Are you 100% positive it's your intake manifold? If there is an issue with your intake at all, the only tools you need really are a couple sockets and combo wreches. You should be able to leave that TBI on the intake when you take your intake off. You will need to loosen the distributor and pull it out to completely remove the intake. Scrape the gasket surface, and replace it.

I'm guessing though that your heads are shot. Either that or the gasket.

Let me know if your are completely sure it's the intake. If you're not, I'll let you know how to do those heads.

I just got done rebuilding my 383 stroker about a week ago. I've got less than 30 miles on it and I've already blown out my lockouts, wheel bearings, and my axle joints. That's in only two days of off-roading.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Intake Gasket's went out on my mom's 94 sub (TBI) but it was leaking down the back of the block. We had it fixed at a shop but all it took was gaskets. I would be sure to mark the distributor so you don't put it in wrong and mess up your timing. Just mark a line on the distributor down to the manifold to line it up.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure its the intake gaskets, my dad had me check the oil filler cap to see if there was any milky oil on it and there was a little on there. The heads should be good, the previous owner swapped in a kragen reman in february 2001. So the heads should be good still, if not I have some vortecs in my garage waiting for my new stroker when i get the money. The intake is also leaking oil from the front and back where it lays flat on the block. Im also positive its my intake cause my truck runs wierd which makes sense if the gaskets are leaky.

5. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Ok, so if it's the intake gaskets, then it's an easy fix. This can be done in an aftenoon.

Pull all the connections to your TBI (mark them if you think you need to).

Take out the distibutor and mark it. I forgot to mention that in the first post, but our friend in here reminded us.

Take all the bolts out on the intake. They can be a pain in the butt sometimes. You'll also want to take the thermostat housing off, and the top alternator bolt.

Pry the intake off, and scrape the gasket surface clean.

If you don't have a gasket, I'd suggest ordering a complete set from Summit Racing. I paid about $35 for the entire gasket set. That's too good of a deal to pass up.

Reinstall that badboy and fire her up. Make sure the distributor got put back exactly where it was. You can double check with a timing light if needed.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Alright, cool. Thanks for the help, Ill let you know if that fixes everything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

The Fel-Pro gaskets are awesome. Only 14.00 I had to do this to my truck this weekend. Sould only take you a couple hours.
    A word of advice...Spend the extra couple dollars and buy the Edelbrock "Gasgacench" I think that is how you spell it. Put it on the head surface, and head side of the intake manifold, and let it dry 5 minutes before putting the gasket in place. Also coat the manifold side of the gasket with it too, and put a bead of silicone around the four water holes. Also use silicone 1/4 inch on the front and rear of the manifold INSTEAD of the rubber pieces of doo doo that come in the kit. Use enough, and don't be affraid of using too muck. This will keep the headaches of oil leake away.... And no matter how much you want ot go ripping up the road after, let the silicone cure for at least 12 hours, if not a full 24 hours before you start up the truck....This will prevent oil pressure from pushing out the silicone and dripping oil out the cracks...
    Good luck,

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like Torque plus intake manifold gaskets. They have screens that re-atomize the air/fuel mixure right befor it enters the heads. I think Jeg's still sells them.