Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Jimmy is stranded 1/4 mile from my house....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Jan 7, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

OK guys heres the story. Yesterday I drove my truck from my moms house to my dad's. It did need a quick jump to get the engine to turn over but i blame this muddy connections.

Yesterday I powerwashed the whole engine and body. I then started it up and it ran fine.

Tonight i went to go for a little drive. When i tried to start it up it was real tough it just kinda churned for a while then it got goin. It ran rough for about a 1/4 mile then it just kinda died. I went and got some starter fluid sprayed that in and it would turn over but whenever I hit the gas pedal it would just die.

Well if i dont get it home with the engine running that means i have to push it which isnt such a big deal but i dont want to and this will need to be resolved eventually. Any ideas guys. Thanks.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Water in the dist?????....Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Did you cover the dist with a plastic bag at all so it wouldn't get wet when you sprayed the engine? What about the ignition module? I was thinking about when we went to Hollister and Stu's truck died (remember that Dan?) after he got it wet in the choc milk. He tweeked with it forever it seemed while Leland helped him and that's what it turned out to be.... with some WD40 and a new one he was good to go....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ChevyCaGal on 01/07/02 09:07 PM.</FONT></P>

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Always check for fuel and spark!

I'd also get a voltmeter and see what the battery voltage is. Is it 12.4 or higher? And once you get it running I'd check the battery voltage again to make sure the alternator is functioning properly. I think once you run a battery down to about 10.5volts it can still crank over the engine but won't have enough voltage to fire the coil.
    My 2 cents.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

FUEL PUMP!! #12.99 and 20 minutes and you have a new one. That's my best guess over the internet.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. bart

bart Registered Member

This has an HEI distributor? They are really easy to get water in, it will cause a short and destruction of the HEI module (inside the distrubutor, black plastic thing, plugs on each end, about $15-20 at any parts store). This sounds exactly like the trouble I had after "cleaning" my eng. compartment on my 84.

Bart

7. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

WD40 to get it home and then replace the cap. WD40 should clean the contacts good enough to get it running again.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

8. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

did he say that it fires with starting fluid? Wouldn't that imply there is spark? Maybe I misunderstood.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

might be a fuel filter

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

So what happened with it?

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's what made me think fuel related immediately.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles