Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My job sucks!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blaze, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Geez, I've been working here for 3 months, been promoted to head draftsman during that time when the other draftsman quit. I do everything here now, drafting, release drawings, update stock, enter items, etc. I was making $12 an hour as a temp. They inform me that I am going on permanent on Monday. Sounds good, right? Well, my health insurance doesn't start for another 3 months, which sucks because I haven't had any for the last 3 months. On top of that, they aren't raising my pay any! I have 2 more semesters till I have my degree, I am experienced, already have a minor in ME and drafting, and I am making $12 an hour? Not to mention the 30 minute commute each way, gas money, etc. If we had a few draftsman, I could understand, but I am the ONLY one! I should be making at LEAST $15 an hour! I'm a friggin solid modeler working with SolidWorks! I had a job offer I turned down in OK because I didn't want to move, but the pay was $25/hr. Man, I can't take this bull**** anymore. If anybody knows of any drafting/design jobs in the Greensboro, NC area, let me know!

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Play the game with them... say you are leaving to take another job and make it look really like you are. If they think you are leaving they might wake up and make you a better offer...

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You can always tell them no. I had to do that once. That's the thing about working for a temp service. You don't HAVE to take any job you don't want to. I would tell them your terms and if they don't like it then you can walk away. Yes, your pay should reflect your responsibilities, but what I have found is that you usually have to already be doing the job before you get the official "promotion & compensation". Play the game and see what happens. I did and it got me exactly what I wanted. Don't be afraid, and don't be intimidated. Be VERY professional, outline your requirements and why you feel you deserve them, and then back it up with specific examples and recent accomplishments that give merit to your claims. Do it in a report form that you can leave with them to read and think about. Once they see you have some serious time and effort into this, they'll take you much more seriously and just may give you what you want (the $15 hr and full bennies). You can do it, just do it right. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ditto what shane74 said.

5. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] feel like this?

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

lmao. omg hahahahahahahaha. thats funny.

jacob

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i love that one, it is soooo true at most jobs /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif